alans lowe 14' vbottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeaj85

Reaction score
14 vbottom boat that sat for 3 years in woods with fallen tree on it. I had always wanted to put flat floors in the boat and after stumbling upon this website it gave me many ideas to finish my project.

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,787
I had previously gutted the center bench seat to store the battery, charger, and create some extra storage. I found heavy aluminum sheet metal on the side of the road and riveted them onto the inside to create a shelf.

Attachments

• IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,785
i made simple platforms for the plywood between the benches out of 2x2 and decided to use the front bench and shape of the vhull to support the front storage area.

Attachments

• IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,787
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,786
  • IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,786
simple cardboard patterns to trace onto plywood, then two coats of spar and cheap depot outdoor carpet.

Attachments

• IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,785
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,785
  • IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,785
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,785
this was a very enjoyable and fairly cheap project to complete. I used 4 2x4, 1 sheet of 5/8 cdx plywood, 1 qt of spar, and a 6x8 cut of outdoor carpet. I ripped the 2x4 down to create 2x2 and tried to keep the project as simple as possible and not try to over engineer the design. I tried to keep load points of the platforms on the seams of the hull and allow them to dry fit so they are not secured to the hull. They are a tight fit to place them but do allow the boat to flex or move without the fear of stretching or breaking fasteners. Most importantly it makes the little boat more enjoyable to use and the dog likes not sliding around on the metal floors.

Attachments

• IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,785
Nice clean build.
I wish I could make a bench battery storage like that.
How did you secure the top?

Btw, that dog sure does look happy. :LOL2:

jasper

I hold it down with a strap when towing and it I made a lip on the underside of the top to fit in the hole so it doesn't move when out on the water.

Jasper, opening the bench was actually quite simple, mark out the size of the opening, drill the corners large enough to fit a saw blade in. A metal cutting blade for a jigsaw makes quick work of the aluminum benches. I had access to a large sheet metal brake for bending the aluminum for the shelf, but with a few pieces of scrap wood a crude metal brake could be quickly made to make a simple 90 bend.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=367096#p367096 said:
leeaj85 » Yesterday, 8:18 pm[/url]"]Jasper, opening the bench was actually quite simple, mark out the size of the opening, drill the corners large enough to fit a saw blade in. A metal cutting blade for a jigsaw makes quick work of the aluminum benches. I had access to a large sheet metal brake for bending the aluminum for the shelf, but with a few pieces of scrap wood a crude metal brake could be quickly made to make a simple 90 bend.

Alan,
I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks for the tip.
jasper

Latest posts