Alternative to Gluvit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMO8413

Reaction score
Once the weather turns nice (maybe soon? Never?) here in New England I’d like to get started on my 13’ Duranautic Coastie.

First is addressing the bottom of the boat. It’s bare metal and the seams have already been filled with either marine/JB weld. I don’t have any reason to think the boat leaks (previous owner said it didn’t) but I was thinking of just sealing the entire bottom with Gluvit. If you look at the middle seam starting at the stern it looks like there’s been some serious welding and has me a bit worried.

First - is applying it to the entire bottom necessary or should I just epoxy over the seams? I was thinking applying it to the entire bottom would just give me piece of mind and protection moving forward.

Second - is there an alternative to Gluvit that gets the job done? Man, at almost $80 it sure is expensive.

Thanks all!IMG_4926.jpeg

Last edited:
I have not used gluvit on the bottom of the boat. Just on the inside of aluminum and on surfaces of wood. It is not UV stable, so will need paint over it if exposed. I wouldn't think that it would be a good bottom paint/sealer. There are other specialty coatings, like for gliding over rocks, etc. They might be more costly than gluvit, though.

Those seams never should have been sealed. The rivets are what was leaking. People don't understand how aluminum boats were put together so the just start filling any crack they can find. Those seams were designed to be open so tbose aluminum strakes could empty out trapped water. The rivets just needed bucked to stop any leaks. The inside should have been sealed with gluvit for any leaking rivets if the bucking didn't seal them. Gluvit does not work well on the outside, there are far better products to cover the outside in todays market.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but why? Are boats scarce where you live? Around me a GOOD 12'-14' tinny is worth $100-300. One in this kind of shape is pretty much worth scrap value, so I'd not mess with it to be honest. Scrap it, add a hundred or two to what you get and buy a better taken care of boat. Just my 2 cents.

Must be nice, LQ!! Around here, a 14' jon is like gold. With gas prices so high, you pay as much for a decent tinnie as a 22' walkaround cabin boat. It's crazy. I need to visit where you are.

Location is everything, one reason folks take road trips or long weekend getaways !! My neighbor owns a semi, and often brings things back wth him if he sees good buys in orher areas...

Hate to sound like a broken record, but why? Are boats scarce where you live? Around me a GOOD 12'-14' tinny is worth $100-300. One in this kind of shape is pretty much worth scrap value, so I'd not mess with it to be honest. Scrap it, add a hundred or two to what you get and buy a better taken care of boat. Just my 2 cents.

I agree, the Jb Weld on that center strake would be reason enough for me not to invest any money in that hull. Unless it has sentimental value I guess.

Growing up a buddy of mine was the son of an over the road driver. He made 2 West coast runs a week and always brought back something good: COORS! Illegal to have E of the Mississippi and the old boy kept a good eye on his stash. Yet every once in awhile we'd end up with a 6 pack. Pure liquid joy. Sorry to derail the thread, but that is the best thing a trucker ever brought back that I know about.