Aluminum Brazing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottMD

Reaction score
First off I'm obviously new to posting on this site although I have been lerking for several months now. I love the pics and stories of the mods. I currently have a mod on a Grumman 16 semi-v that is almost complete. Saddly I don't have any before pics but will try to take some current pics this weekend and get them up early next week. I will pass on some thing that I have learned on the way....."aluminum brazing" I did some research and found out that you need to use a
STAINLESS STEEL brush on the area before brazing. I tried it without the stainless first and it didn't work but with the stainless brush I got it to work. It took some practice but after a few trials on a piece of scrape I got the hang of it.

I repaired some rivet holes that were above the water line. Even though I felt confident that I could make the repair I did want to try it on a hole that wasn't below the water.

I had really good success using this method. I patched a crack on the bottom as well as several small holes. The trick is to apply heat for a good 30 seconds and then begin moving the rod in small quick motions around the area you are trying to patch. One of the holes I patched was a good 1/2" in diameter.

Good post, and I agree. I have been using the HTS 2000 for some time now and I really like it. Before that I used the Alumaweld rods, very similar but more finicky. In addition to using the stainless brush I also keep a rag and some denatured alcohol to wipe the area down just before I hit it with the heat. The cleaner the metal the better the bond!

Latest posts