Aluminum vs. Wood for framing (Am I missing something?)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can agree with you on the overkill Perchin its the only way I know how to do things too I just started my boat mod and I am using wood gonna paint it with fiberglass resin before carpet I am just trying to rip 2X4s in half where i can to save a few pounds 3/4 plywood is where most of the weight comes from but its solid.My boat had 1/2" on the floor and it was flimsy between the supports.this is a good thread and gives you something to think about

BassChasin said:
I can agree with you on the overkill Perchin its the only way I know how to do things too I just started my boat mod and I am using wood gonna paint it with fiberglass resin before carpet I am just trying to rip 2X4s in half where i can to save a few pounds 3/4 plywood is where most of the weight comes from but its solid.My boat had 1/2" on the floor and it was flimsy between the supports.this is a good thread and gives you something to think about

Heck yeah... everytime I'm out in the shop building something... In my head I'm doing the Tim Allen Oaahh, Oaahh, Oaahh

Sayre32 said:
Perchin, I usually see people overlaping aluminum angle and the results are that the plywood sits on the highest piece and sags to the lower piece. I know it is only an (1/8") or whatever thickness used, but there still will be sag from highest to lowest angle. Probably not a big deal at all, but I would rather have everything flush. Didn't mean to down anybody for using angle, I thought about it myself, just didn't like the whole overlaping thing.

If you wan't to use angle and have it flush, you simply use flat bar in the same thickness you are using for your framing. There is a pic somewhere early in my build that shows bassboy holding some scrap together that demonstrates this.

So, if you use 1.25 x 1.25 x .125 thick angle, you would use 1.25 x .125 flat to have everything flush.

Hope that helps.

I agree with what you are saying about the overlapping angle. I couldn't get over that either. I did mine flush by using little angle brackets to connect the angle. It used more rivets and added some extra cutting, but the floor doesn't sag at all. It is plenty sturdy.