An Alarming Trend. :O

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrSimon said:
JamesM56alum said:
MrSimon said:
At first glance, I thought you had mounted a toilet paper roll to the side of your boat .... then I noticed it was your anchor line and lost all respect for you.

Ease up. :roll:

Sorry. Weak attempt at sarcasm. I was trying to imply that mounting a toilet paper roll would be awesome, and that anything else would be inferior.

Not a problem.

Be well.

MrSimon said:
JamesM56alum said:
MrSimon said:
At first glance, I thought you had mounted a toilet paper roll to the side of your boat .... then I noticed it was your anchor line and lost all respect for you.

Ease up. :roll:

Sorry. Weak attempt at sarcasm. I was trying to imply that mounting a toilet paper roll would be awesome, and that anything else would be inferior.

That is funny sh-t right there...... I don't care who you are :lol: =D>

Hey nice job kismet. I noticed you have the exact same Lowe seats as I have (just different color) and was curious to how you like them?

Johny25 said:
Hey nice job kismet. I noticed you have the exact same Lowe seats as I have (just different color) and was curious to how you like them?

Johny, I 've only been on them for a couple of two-hour stints, and most of the time was working on other issues out at the lake, so didn't really "evaluate" them. They seem excellent: well-made, solid, good swivel action, plush enough for comfort without excess.

I'm quite pleased. I got them from Bulldog, who was parting out a bass boat, I believe. Sold them on the forum here. I think? Dman bought the other three of Bulldog's.

Yup i got 3 of them. Had 3 outings totalling 10-12 hours probably and i am in love. Kismet had a great review. Comfortable and supporting without being over board. I sat in a buddys boat that has new, but cheap seats in it, it was plenty comfortable for a few hours. When i got home and it was fresh in my butts memory i sat on mine and went "ahhh this was what i was missing and didnt even know it" :).

So yeah. The 40 dollar seats that are of the same basic design work and are comfortable, but you just dont know what you missing till you sit in one of these seats. Also, i like how the bases are plastic not wood, and the hinges are if a sifferent world from any cheaper seat. Wayyyy stronger.

I love the seats

Finally found some oars.

I searched for six weeks to get some gen-u-ine wooden fishing boat oars. What happened to them all?

Close your eyes....no, wait...read this, THEN close your eyes, picturing the wooden oars, up there on the rafters of your garage, or maybe leaning in the corner. They're grey with age, but if you look close you can see the vestiges of the blue or red or white paint in some of the wood seams. The blades are feathered from being too wet too long, and then used to shove off from rocks, or trying to row in a rocky river. See 'em? They've been left in boats at docks for so many times, they are as weathered grey as the docks themselves. OK,now open your eyes.

Well, I live in rural Wisconsin, for crying out loud, and all those wonderful, taken-for-granted wooden oars have disappeared ! I advertised on Craig's List for over weeks, went to more garage sales in a few weeks than I had in decades...and nothing!d Lotta of folks think canoe paddles are oars.

Went to er...Farm and Fleet and Walmart, and Wally had nothing, F&F had thick slabs of lumber they were selling as oars. From waaay too many web searches, I think that the yuppies decorating their B&Bs have decided they would make "darling" accent pieces. (blah.) They're oars, for crying out loud; honest, well-made, work tools for a boat on the water.

Well, found two which are a little long (6.5'), and need a bit a rehab, but as soon as I got them home, I hit them with spar urethane, and ordered the oar locks. I have oar yolks, but these are old enough that I don't want to stress the pivot point. THESE were oars as they were meant to be made...with some skill and appreciation for the work they were intended to do.

I've been using metal and plastic oars that came with the 12ft boat, but those are as wrong as the sound of a league baseball hit with an aluminum bat.

Got Mick out for his second boat ride. He did fine, mostly. Still messing with the 5.5., so I took it in to get the carb rebuilt. Currently using a 10hp, 1959 Johnson, which one of the previous owners decided should be painted ENTIRELY in battleship grey. In the few times I've been out, as some others said, that 10hp is about the perfect engine for the 14ftr Alumacraft.

Pictures:
vintageoarsbothfromleftwithstoragebox.jpg

Vintageoarleftandstoragebox.jpg

vintageoarfullbladecloseupglare.jpg

mick2ndtripinboatlookingback.jpg

The ravages of time :(
metightattillerstrawhat.jpg

What!? Kismet thats you? I thought you said you were old. All i see is a 20 year old having a blast ;-).

You are in the state next to me but i think to far away or i would have been happy to give you the two oars i have.

Dman23 said:
What!? Kismet thats you? I thought you said you were old.

I keep telling him the same thing, but he just won't wear the mini skirt in public.. #-o

Where's my fish chowder??

OK, then, dog, boat, 1959 10 hp Johnson engine, Karavan (bent tongue) boat trailer, early morning after cool front came through, breaking 3 days of mid-90's and high humidity. Winds came up, but the morning was beautiful.

Boat, motor, trailer, and dog all performed very well.

earlymorningatlakelightonthewater-1.jpg

karavantrailerfirsttimeatlake.jpg

johnson10hponboatonwater.jpg

alumaatdockearlymorningjohnson10hpfromrear.jpg

alumaatdockfrominsidefrontofboatjohnson10hp.jpg

Mickinboatwithleashearlymorning612.jpg

Now what?
:?

Ummmm wrap that carabiner in tape or something so it doesn't scratch the paint on that beautiful old Johnson you got there :)

I know im the new guy here.... but you guys are costing me money!
Bought old polar kraft 16' and yamaha 9.9 ... rebuilt transom ....
Then. Fooling around on craigs list ...2002 brand new in the crate mercury 4stroke motor bigfoot short shaft.
Bought motor.

Putt yamaha in barn. Building a plywood brockway scow.

Havent even been in water yet.

This site has infected me.peabody

Kismet said:
Now what?
:?

Well... Some of us are still waiting for our fish chowder... Easy on the salt.. :lol:

And speaking of Fish Chowder, I recently purchased a very nice used Zebco 33 Classic rod and reel combo from the grandson of one of our mutual friends..

Why does it seem wrong that the line to refill it cost twice as much as the rod and reel did? :shock:

Glad you had a great day on the water. I used to have a '61 QD-22 Johnson 10 hp that was a great little motor. Love the doggie and the name of the boat! You even used the correct font. Good to have another Joss Whedon fan aboard.

Mr Kismit, I have enjoyed your thread. I read most of your posts to my wife. We have laughed outloud for about an hour. You did a great job and I know you and da pooch will enjoy many years in that tin. Thanks for the great read!

Hope you don't mind but I am gonna probably copy the insulation on the edges of your floor. great idea!

Sell the motors, sell the smaller hull, and get a 25hp mercury to toss on ur 14ft

That's plenty of pep while still sippin gas

I choose mercury over the others because I know how to work on them. My 115hp 2003 mercury is not much different than my 25hp 2004 mercury. Other than the 115 is Electronic and the 25 is strictly carbureted.

I'm still pretty new to a tiller engine though... Once I figure out the mercury co-pilot friction plate and replace it then I'll be right on the $$$

Sell the motors, sell the smaller hull, and get a 25hp mercury to toss on ur 14ft

No, Thank you. :)

Motors I have do well on the boats I have. Besides, there's some synchronicity to a '59 engine on a '59 boat.

And the 12 ftr is perfect for what it is.

and Catsmith? Thank you very much. I was tickled when I happened across the idea of the pipe insulation. Just serendipity.

Be well and safe.

Hey Kismet, figured I'd drop by and take a look at your rig, nice work, looks great, I do like these older boats. I also like the old Johnson, I don't know that it really matters but there is something cool about having an old boat and old motor from the same year. I'm sure you've had a lot of fun on the water with her by now!

Might as well fix em. By the time you dig a big enough hole to bury one you can do lots toward making one better, (insert maniacal laugh). :twisted: