Android GPS app

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite use of this app is actually for ice fishing. I fish in open water season and with my fish finder I look for structure (perch, bass, crappie) or sandy/soft sonar returns (lake trout, rainbow trout). I also use the Navionics to show me drop off areas/sharp contours. Then I mark these spots on my phone and when I return during hardwater season I know exactly where to go for the species I am targeting. Especially deep in the season when there can be 3' of ice to drill. It can waste a lot of time to drill a hole, then pull out the flasher to see what depth I might be in and what kind of structure there is on the bottom. Sometimes it's blowing snow, 20 below zero and you want to get that pop-up shanty and heater deployed as soon as possible. For that purpose Navionics is absolutely priceless.

Thanks guys. Didn't intend to create a stir!!

FerrisBueller hit the nail on the head. I'm not concerned with river depths or anything like that. The part of the river I run can go up 2-3 feet over night with a heavy rain. Just looking for something that I can mark waypoints on a map for when I find a place that holds ducks/geese while scouting. Will make it easier to find that spot again at 4:30 on a cold January morning. I downloaded gpsessentials the other day and so far it seems perfect for what I need.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327801#p327801 said:
dc9loser » Yesterday, 22:35[/url]"]Um, Nav software is only good where you don't need it. You know well traveled and well marked places full of boats and deep water.

Once you get off into rivers, swamps, and remote places forget about it.... it is a big blank.

I just wasted 60 bucks buying Navionics from the glowing reports above for my phone and pad. It fits my explanation above to a tee.

Sorry to hear that, although curious to know i you took a look at the webapp first as recommended?

That said, in Norway only 41 of thousands of lakes are mapped. For this reason, I use Reefmaster-software to make my own charts in adittion to the ones that are mapped.

Navionics is the only way to go and their customer support covers apps too. They really have employees that are involved in outdoors!