Another battery topic

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bAcKpAiN

Reaction score
Another question: What size batteries do you guys run for your 24V trolling motors? What are your experiences with your 24V setups?

I have an "Evinrude" labeled Minn Kota 54# thrust 24V. The only thing that will be running off of it will be the trolling motor. Would two 24 series batteries be enough? Or should I hold out for two 27 series? What kind of battery life could I expect say on a windy day fishing an electric only reservior? I used to have a 40# Minn Kota 12V and ran that on two 27 series batteries in parallel and it lasted me all day. I just don't want to find myself paddling back to the ramp because there is no way to carry two spares for the 24V! :lol:

bAcKpAiN said:
Another question: What size batteries do you guys run for your 24V trolling motors? What are your experiences with your 24V setups?

I have an "Evinrude" labeled Minn Kota 54# thrust 24V. The only thing that will be running off of it will be the trolling motor. Would two 24 series batteries be enough? Or should I hold out for two 27 series? What kind of battery life could I expect say on a windy day fishing an electric only reservior? I used to have a 40# Minn Kota 12V and ran that on two 27 series batteries in parallel and it lasted me all day. I just don't want to find myself paddling back to the ramp because there is no way to carry two spares for the 24V! :lol:

On my current setup I have one car battery and one 27 ever start from wally world. I went to allatoona one weekend and ran the whole weekend without recharging. I wasnt fishing all day everyday, but from Friday thru Sunday I saw little change in the performance of the motor. The think is you will rarely run it all full speed so keep it moderate and you should be fine with most any set up.

currently I'm running 2 - 31 series Everstart Marine Maxx batteries from walmart on a 71# thrust Motorguide.

My batts are 2 years old and they need replacing. I do good for the first 3/4 of the day in a tourney, but near the end, it's dragging, but still ok.

I'm about to replace it with the most battery I can afford... with that being said, I'm getting 2 free from a buddy who works on motorized wheelchairs. The batts are used, but they are either AGM or gel cell and there are 2 boats in his club running those batteries and they are still going full speed at the end of the day

If I had to spend the money, I would probably fork out the money and buy 2 Optima marine D31M

Im not a tourney guy like Russ so you gotta buy what you think you will need. Russ needs a lot of power to move around all day. I require less because I am not on the water 24/7.

dyeguy1212 said:
russ010 said:
I would probably fork out the money and buy 2 Optima marine D31M

You're not the only one.. just hurts knowing you could have bought an outboard with that kinda dough :lol:

I've got an outboard.. .but you can't use the outboards in electric only lakes. I could have bought a 3hp electric motor for that price - BUT, i would have had to buy 4 more batteries for it too

But seriously - I would get the most battery you can afford. I think Deka batteries (wet cell) are really good batteries too.

I've got a total of 5 batteries in my boat - 2 for the front motor, and 2 more in the rear for 2 more trolling motors. I have a 31 on each of them as well and they way out perform a 27 if you plan on fishing all day.

The only tournaments I have fished on electric only lakes have been 4 hour weeknight tourneys. I do plan on fishing a few others but they will allow me to be able to run the gas motor. Thanks for all of the input, it looks like I will be getting a few 27's from pepboys. They had a reserve capacity within 10 of the Everstart Max 29's at wallyworld and about 70 higher than the 24's I have seen.

some of the best marine batteries I got were from Auto Zone.. I think they are Duralast brand. I've had a 24 series in my 1232 at my parents house on a 30lb thrust transom motor... that battery is about 5 years old now and still runs strong. I don't move much when I get to where I'm going - I make long runs, and then I'll sit there all day in that boat because I know the lake... I tried trolling it one time and it lasted a lot better than I thought it would

Unless weight/size is a factor I don't know why anyone would buy a 24 series battery when a 27 is just a few bucks more. (Exception would be a cranking battery on a smaller outboard) If you figure the cost per amp the series 27 batteries are a much better deal, you get more bang for your buck. It falls back off again with a 31 series. Also take note that if you use a flooded cell battery until your trolling motor starts slowing down you've probably already overdischarged the battery and shortened it's life. So not only do you get more bang for the buck in a cost per amp scenario, the battery tends to have a longer life because you don't overdischarge it.

If you REALLY want to get into battery and battery maintenence go check out the home solar/wind power sites. When you are using banks with a couple of dozen batteries making them last even a few months more brings a big overall cost savings.

longjohn119 said:
Unless weight/size is a factor I don't know why anyone would buy a 24 series battery when a 27 is just a few bucks more. (Exception would be a cranking battery on a smaller outboard) If you figure the cost per amp the series 27 batteries are a much better deal, you get more bang for your buck. It falls back off again with a 31 series. Also take note that if you use a flooded cell battery until your trolling motor starts slowing down you've probably already overdischarged the battery and shortened it's life. So not only do you get more bang for the buck in a cost per amp scenario, the battery tends to have a longer life because you don't overdischarge it.

If you REALLY want to get into battery and battery maintenence go check out the home solar/wind power sites. When you are using banks with a couple of dozen batteries making them last even a few months more brings a big overall cost savings.

True on everything you said above... I wouldn't buy a 24 again, only reason I did that one was because I knew exactly where I would be going and how much battery I needed - and the fact that the 24 was on sale!

Latest posts