Another roughneck 1752 rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bstump

Reaction score
Picked up a lowe roughneck 1752 last year and instantly realized how heavy the boat was. IT is the tunnel hull model but running it with a 50hp merc tiller.

The boat is used for duck hunting and striped bass fishing in the coastal marshes of delaware bay and ICW. First order of business is to remove foam, and don't know if i should replace all, some or none at all????

Pics to come,

Any advice going forward will be appreciated this is my first boat overhaul.

Bob

Welcome Bob !!
I am not a duck hunter or striper fisherman . . .
Just plain old fishing for bass, panfish or crappie.

I was just wondering how old your boat is - and, how long has
it been used in the ICW ? Do you see any corrosion issues yet.

Photos of your project can help the gallery help you.

flotation foam is what keeps the boat from sinking in the event it gets swamped or otherwise filled with water. it's a safety feature ensuring that you will have something to hang onto in an emergency as well as something for rescuers to look for. removing it means your boat will sink if it takes on enough water.

Commercial boats may be manufactured without flotation. Pleasure boats are required to have it. Personally I would replace it if at all possible.

Removed over 350# in foam. The floar is still down and unsure of how to remove it, welded both lengths. I may drill rivets and cut 2' section out of middle to get rest of foam out from floor. Building a front deck, with 24v Minnkota riptide attached upfront.....and yeah I guess figure how to replace 11 cubic feet of foam.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,727
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,727
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,727
Where was most of the wet foam, in those back boxed areas? I need to tear into my 1652, I think the foam back there is wet. I want to order the aluminum hatch covers first before I cut into them.

JL8Jeff said:
Where was most of the wet foam, in those back boxed areas? I need to tear into my 1652, I think the foam back there is wet. I want to order the aluminum hatch covers first before I cut into them.

Bstump said:
JL8Jeff said:

Yes. 100 # in each box..

My 1652 had the center console and I moved it forward in the early spring, it helped get some weight up front with the driver and I put the battery up there as well.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_3.jpg
    Lowe_1652_3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,689
From what I have read, it sounds like the expanding foam has to be done in the proper conditions with the correct mixing to work and seal out water properly. It sounds like the foam blocks/sheets created in a controlled environment will work better and not soak up water over time. Seems to be lots of discussions/debates over what to use.

Here's a pretty good read.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/316275-adding-foam-flotation-not.html

Latest posts