any fishkeepers?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the outside ponds. Well like the aquariums too, but I don't have room for any of those. But I wish I did.

Some day.

I have a 50 gal octagonal tank that I keep all natives, right now I have a few bluegill, a redbreast, crayfish, shiners, and a 5" channel cat. I had a largemouth for awhile, but he ate every other fish I put in, so I released him. I have a stream at the end of my driveway, everything in the tank came from the stream except the cat, which I caught and brought home in the livewell

I have had Freshwater aquariums and salt aquariums, Fresh take less work, Salt has the neatest stuff

Here is my Predator tank It was a 125 gallon
https://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/dragonman62612/Family%20Pics/Pets/125%20Predator/
This is my 180 gallon reef tank
https://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/dragonman62612/Family%20Pics/Pets/180%20Reef/
All the pics in the reef tank are in sub folders hope you can see them.

I had the 180 Reef tank (40 g sump), the 125 predator tank(55 g sump) and a 30 Gal damsel tank all plumed together with a 200 gal sump in the basement.

We have had numerous freshwater tanks but i have not got the photos uploaded yet, will soon.

same tank different stages always a changing its a 125 6 footer and i keep african cichlids mbuna from lake malawi

1114011510a.jpg

0923012134.jpg

0923012120a.jpg

Well, as I said in my previous comment, I got around to building that gamefish pond, and as of a few days ago, it is now stocked with rainbow trout!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl7N84SocIQ&list=UUHYpuGo2zvfQcgL2J7VdAqA&index=1&feature=plcp

It was no simple matter to get it done, though. Here's the story:

My parents went to visit their cousin up at Roan Mt, TN. His friend raises trout for trout farms. So, when they went up there, I sent them with a modified 96 qt cooler, with a 500 GPH bilge pump mounted in there, with a small air hose and valve, to regulate a small amount of air being introduced into the impeller, for some aeration. And then I rigged a cigarette lighter plug on the bilge pump, so all they had to do was drop the water and fish into it, plug it in, and drive the 6 hours home.

The problem was, when they got back last Sunday with the 2 dozen trout, their water was only 64, and my pond water was about 80. No way they could be transferred from 64 to 80 degrees, that would surely kill them. So, I had to put them in a small holding tank in a room in the house, and turn a window A/C unit down to 65, and keep that room shut off, to keep it cool. (I run the A/C in my house much warmer, like 76) I kept their water circulating with a canister filter, complete with carbon and ammonia removing chips.

Well, I began to worry about how long it would be before I could get them to the pond. Because, I had already lost 2, I found out real quick fast and in a hurry that trout are excellent jumpers. I put them into the holding tank, turned my back for 5 minutes for something else, walked back in that room, and there were 3 or 4 of them on the floor, flopping around. Damnit! So, I had to keep the holding tank covered with a piece of hardware cloth from that point forward.

My worries were put to rest by a cold front, which dropped the temp in my pond about 10 degrees. After having the trout in the tank for 2 days, and feeding them, I needed to change their water, but worried about getting water that same temp to change it with. Turns out, their tank water had risen to 68 degrees, which is exactly what the temp of the pond was! So, I was able to use water straight from the pond to change their water.

Seeing that the temp was the same, I decided to transfer a few of the trout to the pond, and observe them for a day or so. I did, and they looked OK. So, as of yesterday, I transferred the rest of them to the pond.

I'm glad, because in that small holding tank, I was worried about them, I was having to feed them, and change water every day, clean filters, and with a fish load like that in a system that small, I saw the potential for it to crash.

But, I think it was worth it. This is SO cool, seeing live rainbow trout in my own pond right here on the SC coast. And man, do they have appetites! As soon as food hits the water, they start jumping, and snapping it up like little piranha...reminds me of the way they do at the trout farm.

And best of all, I don't have to drive 6 hours to Grandfather Mountain, NC to see it! It's right here, along with my own personal snowskiing resort, (at least, when the weather gets cold enough here to start blowing snow....27 degrees at night is what's needed)

I have a 60 gallon tank with mollies and guppies. my wife killed 95 % of them off when we moved. filled a cooler with tap water instead of tank water. since then i have went from four guppies and five mollies to over a dozen mollies and nearly 100 guppies counting the 40 + new ones within the last month. i have been working off the same 6 guppies and 6 mollies since january 2010. gotta love live birthing fish.