Anyone ebay?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paypal helped an ebay buyer steal a cell phone from me, he made a false complaint, got his money back, and kept and used my phone.

On another occasion, $100 ended up missing due to fraud and it took them 2 months after receiving all required documentation to free up my money. Have switched to amazon/craigslist and had much better li k buying and selling.

Andrew04 said:
Paypal helped an ebay buyer steal a cell phone from me, he made a false complaint, got his money back, and kept and used my phone.

On another occasion, $100 ended up missing due to fraud and it took them 2 months after receiving all required documentation to free up my money. Have switched to amazon/craigslist and had much better li k buying and selling.

You should have reported the ISN# to the cell phone provider as stolen. He would have stopped being able to use the phone.

I hate scammers.

I use paypal,around 50 buys...never had a problem.
Although you guys have me scared now...it's on my CC.

Once again, if PP's on a CC - you're relatively safe. You can always dispute the amount taken on the CC and they will lock it down for you and pull the funds back.

PP is not a bank, they're a "holding" company. If they get shorted, they take it out of you - if you've got it attached to a checking or savings account the money is gone. Your bank can't stop it - it's in PP's TOC. If the PP account is linked to a CC, and PP tries to pull the money out, you can dispute it and the CC company WILL pull the money back from PP (much to their anger I might add).

The CC is your greatest protection in this instance. They're taking the risk in case something happens - not your personal bank account.

IMO PP's a snake. An unfortunate, somewhat necessary snake, but a snake none the less. Keep a close eye on it.

sixgun86 said:
Been a member for 10yrs with 300 feedback. Still at 100%

Ebay is great. Paypal not so great. Just know buyer can return anything for any reason at practically anytime and get all their money back so it's best to be up front and descriptive as possible when selling. They also require paypal as payment on a majority of transactions. Buyer protection is great. Seller protection is awful.

+1

My wife and I ran an eBay store for around 4 years with over 10,000 transactions; prior to that I ran eBay sales part time since 1998. I have seen and experienced pretty much all that Paypal and eBay have to offer regarding customer service and scamming issues. Ebay is going to be what you, the seller, or your customers make of it. So if you're selling counterfeit or ill-described items, your selling experience is short and you'll end up getting cut off by eBay; the downside is that there are obviously loopholes to sign up as a seller again if you failed the first time (the obvious upside is it removes a lot of poor sellers at that point).

Paypal's buyer protection program has been vastly improved from what it was years ago - it now links the eBay purchases to paypal service so if a buyer files an eBay claim and eBay rules one way or the other, Paypal is supposed to review that case's decision before making any ruling.

From a sellers perspective, the buyer is greatly protected and the seller is almost ignored - which my opinion is somewhat ludacris because the folks selling are the ones paying fees for eBay and Paypal. Both of the eBay and Paypal products are good and I definitely still use both without any fear of problems, because I know at the end of the day that my problems I have will be resolved through one of these services.

PayPal is the way to go. If you purchase something and did not receive it PayPal will refund the money out of their pocket. Never had a single thing to complain about PayPal.

Ebay is great for finding parts and stuff that no longer exist. I bought an old 1979 Yamaha XS 1100 motorcycle that needed carbs and several other parts. Try finding them elsewhere. When I bought my 2011 Tracker 1542, I wanted an older 25hp 2 stroke just to get back on the water cheaply until I could come up with enough scratch to buy a new 4 stroke. Classifieds, Craigslist, etc just did not have any anywhere close to where I live in decent running order. Ebay came through again!!!! I have around 400 purchases and so far have never been burned. I don't like Paypals gun policy but for security they seem to be second to none and I use them exclusively for Ebay purchases unless I am dealing with a known reputable business going thru Ebay.