Archery hunting Bad then Good šŸ˜®

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy H

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
First the BAD! I picked up a 150 acre property to archery hunt 15 years ago. The owner lived on the other side of the state. I sent a well worded letter to him asking permission to hunt. He called me and said he does not allow hunting. I was disappointed but polite. A few days later he called me and said the township was on his *** about one of the old barns becoming a dumping ground. We struck up a deal and I became care taker with exclusive hunting rights. This relationship was great and went on for 15 years. Two years ago he sold to a builder that has a bad reputation in this area. Going bankrupt at least once not paying his depts. I talked to the builder and we struck up the same deal. Brings me to now.
My son went over to trim around some of our stands and there were private property signs tacked to all our stands. I called the number and it was a hunting lease company from hundreds of miles away, said he leased from the builder. I called the builder and he couldnā€™t have cared less. Said he forgot, yeah right. The least they could have done is call me. Here we are a few weeks from archery season and Iā€™m screwed. Iā€™ve got significant amount of stands and work into this property. I did some research into this lease company and they donā€™t get high marks from a lot of clients. Sounds like they are cut from same cloth as the builder.
The Good.
I was telling a friend about this and he hooked me up with a 1200 acre private property. Iā€™ll be sharing with a couple others.
So today I started pulling a few stands out of the old property. I believe the lease companies subleased hunters were planing to use them but too bad, they are my property. Let them complain to the lease company. They could have called me two months ago, my number is on countless posted signs over there. Got two out today with a few more to go next week.

Attachments

• IMG_6072.jpeg
    IMG_6072.jpeg
    301 KB
  • IMG_6073.jpeg
    IMG_6073.jpeg
    290.5 KB
  • IMG_6074.jpeg
    IMG_6074.jpeg
    289.2 KB
I envy you. I do wish I could have a parcel of land to hunt near me. The trick is near me.
I'm glad it turned out well. Have fun.
Hunting is becoming a pay to play deal in a lot of areas. I have one stand on my property and a couple on a property on the other side of my neighbor. Problem is the neighbor kid rips around on their place on his dirt bikes. Really puts a damper on things in more ways than one. Pa has thousands and thousands of acres of public land in areas like Allegheny national forest. For a lot of us thatā€™s a 4 or 5 hour drive. Public land in the southeast is available but is a joke.

The hunting lease thing kinda bugs me. I'm sure we're not too far off from companies buying up large parcels and leasing it back to us. "You will own nothing and like it." The Airbnb of hunting ground.

Like what is happening with big institutional investors like Blackstone buying up homes, driving up prices, and making if very difficult for the majority of regular folk to buy one.

So I take it you had nothing in writing? If you want to get dirty, go cut down his trees, if he has a well on his property turn the pump on and let it flood the field. There's a host of things you can do to get even, but you made a deal with the devil and now you're surprised?

So I take it you had nothing in writing? If you want to get dirty, go cut down his trees, if he has a well on his property turn the pump on and let it flood the field. There's a host of things you can do to get even, but you made a deal with the devil and now you're surprised?
And what would that accomplish? Doing things like that doesnā€™t even cross my mind.

Stuff like this sucks, but it happens. We had to sell off a little over half of the family hunting property last year because one of the distant cousins was causing problems. Three generations grew up hunting that land and one....person... cost us the best half for hunting. There were lots of ideas thrown around about "getting even" but it was all talk and we knew it. It wouldn't have accomplished anything but make things worse. The land and all the work that went into it would still be gone and one or more of us would be facing charges of varying degrees.

Best thing to do is what you did. Grab your stuff, move on peacefully, and start looking for other opportunities. Karma has a way of squaring things with people like the builder in the long run anyway.

Stuff like this sucks, but it happens. We had to sell off a little over half of the family hunting property last year because one of the distant cousins was causing problems. Three generations grew up hunting that land and one....person... cost us the best half for hunting. There were lots of ideas thrown around about "getting even" but it was all talk and we knew it. It wouldn't have accomplished anything but make things worse. The land and all the work that went into it would still be gone and one or more of us would be facing charges of varying degrees.

Best thing to do is what you did. Grab your stuff, move on peacefully, and start looking for other opportunities. Karma has a way of squaring things with people like the builder in the long run anyway.
I agree with the Karma thing. The new property Iā€™m hunting is really nice and itā€™s huge. Monday on my first sit of the season there I saw a 140 class buck. I would never have got plugged into the place had the old property not get jerked out from under me.

And what would that accomplish? Doing things like that doesnā€™t even cross my mind.
Being you don't say which part of my post you're asking question of, I'll have to respond as if you questioned both parts. Getting something in writing gives you a legal outlet. But I guess you didn't think of that. It is clearly stated in my answer that doing a few things as revenge is getting dirty and "even" so to speak. I didn't say I recommended those actions. Matter of fact, I recommend getting it in "writing" as I first mentioned. It's seems your taking your frustrations out with me instead of yourself, you failed to make it legal, you made a deal with the devil (you knew his reputation), and now (I'll say it again) you act surprised. You messed up, you don't want to hear or admit it, but sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes your the bug. Sorry you got burned, lesson learned, I hope.

Being you don't say which part of my post you're asking question of, I'll have to respond as if you questioned both parts. Getting something in writing gives you a legal outlet. But I guess you didn't think of that. It is clearly stated in my answer that doing a few things as revenge is getting dirty and "even" so to speak. I didn't say I recommended those actions. Matter of fact, I recommend getting it in "writing" as I first mentioned. It's seems your taking your frustrations out with me instead of yourself, you failed to make it legal, you made a deal with the devil (you knew his reputation), and now (I'll say it again) you act surprised. You messed up, you don't want to hear or admit it, but sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes your the bug. Sorry you got burned, lesson learned, I hope.
Quite obviously in your world going back on your word is a common experience, and doing underhanded destructive things to get revenge is high on your list to make things right. A true testament to your character. As for me I moved on to bigger and better things. As far as me taking my frustration out on you, thats quite a stretch, beside this thread you couldnā€™t be more irrelevant to me šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Quite obviously in your world going back on your word is a common experience, and doing underhanded destructive things to get revenge is high on your list to make things right. A true testament to your character. As for me I moved on to bigger and better things. As far as me taking my frustration out on you, thats quite a stretch, beside this thread you couldnā€™t be more irrelevant to me šŸ˜‚
Again you manage to overlook the fact that I said at least twice now, "You should have gotten it in writing." That is common place in my world, as it is in most of the civilized world I might add. I spoke of revenge as a last case option, but I can see reading comprehension isn't in your wheel house. As for my character, I don't turn a blind eye to blatant offenses. You have the legal world, you have a mans world and you have Gods world. I'm glad for you that you have taken the path of God. I on the other hand, prefer taking things into my own hands when punched in the mouth. Peace

Gentlemen, lets keep this civil please. This doesn't add anything to the conversation or represent the forum well.

Latest posts