Attaching Boat seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt tee

Reaction score
What will be the safest way to mount my folding seats to the aluminum benches. 2 folding seats came with the boat and they have the swivels on them already, just a basic fold down seat. Should I cover the aluminum bench seat with wood and then bolt the seats to the wood. I guess I would have to counter-sink the bolt heads so the board sits on the aluminum bench level, I think the seat is open underneath but there is foam in there which I don't want to mess with . I once had these clamp seats that go over the bench but they would always loosen up. The seat needs to be good and secure to the aluminum bench for safety reasons, if there is a link here to a re-build please get it to me. I did see some of these mounts they sell which is aluminum angle with a plate but again will that hold just by screwing into that aluminum bench?? I am thinking I still would need wood underneath the bench to stiffen it up or some sort of plate, then I would be removing foam. I am open for suggestions, Thanks ahead,.............Pete

One more thing I need to add, This is a small 12ft boat with 2 person cap. So I want the seats as low as I can get them, I dont want the boat to be tippy

I am wanting to try one of these...

https://www.sliderg5.com/

At the moment, I have a couple of the 3/4" pin type bases and seat mounts (without pedestals), and they work well. They allow easy removal of the seats for storage too. They only add a couple of inches in height between the seat and bench top, so no stability-damaging issues there.
I like the adjustability of the slider I linked to in the first URL though.

Do a search on the site for the Slider G5. I have them in my boat and I love them. Best money I every spent. Worth every penny. I do not think you will find one negitive review. Best part is that they are American made in the land of cheese, Wisconsin. Trust me, buy them and you will not be disappointed.

Tim

I used a pin style mount on my front seat and a Slider G5 on my rear. I did use a piece of aluminum on top of the bench to kind of reinforce it before I mounted the pin style base, It seems quite sturdy. The Slider G5 is just awesome and I may regret not putting one on the front as well.

You guys almost have me sold on this mount, I did write him and asked about his shipping cost which seem high to me, are they heavy

I used wood, glued and screwed with a stainless footman loop to attach the strap. No holes in the aluminum bench seats. Made 2 for the seats 1 for the down rigger and 1 for the fish finder. These can be moved side to side easily.

Attachments

• DSCN0779.JPG
    DSCN0779.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,126
  • DSCN0777.JPG
    DSCN0777.JPG
    981.3 KB · Views: 1,126
Can I see a picture of both sides?? There has to be a strap on both ends?? Maybe show the shape of that wood bracket, pretty neat and much cheaper

more pics of seat and downrigger base and link to strap from harbor freight.https://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-2-1-inch-x-12-ft-lashing-straps-67386.html

Attachments

• DSCN0782_2.JPG
    DSCN0782_2.JPG
    990.5 KB · Views: 1,090
  • DSCN0783.JPG
    DSCN0783.JPG
    995.9 KB · Views: 1,090
  • DSCN0785.JPG
    DSCN0785.JPG
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 1,090
  • DSCN0787.JPG
    DSCN0787.JPG
    992.3 KB · Views: 1,090
Do you have a strap for each side or do you bring the one wrap it under the bench and then attach to the other handle

Thank You I really like this idea and hope to use it, appreciate all the emails.....Pete Where did you buy the handles for each side if I may ask

they are called stainless steel footman loops and I bought them on ebay they were 9.95 for a pack of 10.

Excellent project, been looking for a good option for seating may have to do this! =D>

that is pine on my set-up and thats why I put the footman loops through the top with long screws for strength. its not good to screw plywood through the plies. I wish I had used ash or poplar.