Attaching floor to Ribs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattais33

Reaction score
Is there any downfall to screwing the flooring (plywood) directly to the Ribs if you don't mind a slight bow and narrow floor. not looking for anything crazy, just a flat floor and on the inexpensive side.

Also, if your not spanning a far distance can you use L-brackets on the verticle ribs at the bow and attach wood that way opposed to total frame out?

Temporary front deck is attached.

Thoughts?

Front deck temporary.jpg

That's how I do my floors. But my boats are flat bottomed.

I think if you added a couple 2x4's between the ribs screwed to the ribs and the floor a crewed to that you might be better off. But I've never done one in that bottom configuration.

Question first - - - is that piece of plywood the size of your deck ?
or just an example of installation.
If you plan on making it bigger, this is what I suggest ..................
(also the same suggestions will work for any size deck for a V-Hull )

Question #2: what are the clamps for ???

- personally - if I were doing it, I would make some "L" brackets out of 1/8" aluminum flat bar
and screw to the sides of the hull with brass screws and nuts - not the ribs.
and on the leading edge of the platform, use something to reinforce it - 2x2, 2x4, aluminum angle, etc etc.

if you think about it carefully - what type of screws will you use for rib mounting ?
probably sheetmetal self tapping ones that will eventually work loose from the constant flexing of the boat.

for example, make the "L" brackets out of 3/4" wide aluminum flat bar. drill holes in the hull just big enough
for the brass screws, there is no need for sealer as it is above the water line and will have a tight fit.
If you don't want to make your own brackets, store-bought corner brackets will work just as well and
will last many years.

as for the platform itself - - - - I am a stickler for good cosmetics as well as safe functionability.
The design you have in your photo will work great for the pattern - make adjustments where it is
the same distances all the way around to suit you. .........
then, cut some thin cardboard, such as a cereal box (or beer box) and tape it firmly to your plywood
against the sides - then trace that to your finish plywood that you will use for the deck and wa-la,
you have a very nice fit - - - then install your brackets..........

and again, I personally would not screw into the ribs; it is just not safe, in my opinion - but that is just me.
Now, if you are mounting the decking to a flat bottom, yes, I would screw into the ribs, no question.

Attachments

• screws.jpg
    screws.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 585
Very good info.

Yes that was a temporary look for the deck. This is what I did tonight as seen below. Much more stable and still not yet done. Good Idea with the L brackets. I have actually been looking at a lot of what you did. And by the way I see you are from Winter Garden. I graduated from West Orange High in 1997....lol. Too funny. Family still lives over there and I am now in Seminole county.

The clamps are temporarily holding on the gunnel trip piece that the previous owner thought would be a good idea to take off.....ridiculous. I have not bought any hardware yet for install. Also, see attached for my new corner braces for transom and the bow brace. Lets just say "I gotta guy that works at the airport"....lol

The main reason I wanted to go to the Ribs is to keep the center of gravity down since I am not sure how boat will act in water decked out about water line.

I appreciate all of the info.

Keep the info coming. Loving it.

Front Deck Redo 1.jpg
Front deck redo 2.jpg
Corner and bow brace.jpg

wow - love that STAKE BOARD in the last photo. (2" steel plate with square holes)

In my opinion, If it was my job, I would use the "L" brackets on the sides and run a piece
or maybe even 2 or 3 pieces under the leading edge of 1" schedule 40 square tubing.
It will hold 200# easily if done correctly.
that way, you will not loose the front storage space - also, you don't want to close it up
tight so it won't drain properly and for ventilation so your wood won't hold moisture and rot.

Now, for the second idea - - -
since this is a small job, after you make a perfect pattern, you could
very easily use 1/4" diamond plate for the deck, attached the same as you would have done
if using wood. same reinforcement techniques. then, glue your carpet to the deck. wa-la, done.

Third idea - - - make it all out of wood now, run the boat for awhile, then, in the future,
you can convert to all aluminum with any alterations you may have in mind.

jus my dos centavos

There is nothing more grand
than to be just simply messing around
in an old boat. POGO - 1960

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 519
Not a bad idea with the diamond plate. I am totally terrified to drill through the side of the boat, that is why I am so leary of doing the L brackets, although I know that would be best. Kind of a starter project for me but I really appreciate the input.

I like the look of the diamond plate on the front deck too. Here are the benches I did tonight. Now it is time to water test and see what the stability is like up on the bench.

Center and back bench rough.jpg

Latest posts