baitcasting frustration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These will help you, he explains it very well.
spool it with your line in the vertical position (and a pencil or marker or what ever in the spool to pivot on), have the line come off the top of the spool and it will roll right on your reel with little trouble. I have heard some people defeating line memory by spooling off the bottom, but the only time I tried it I saw no difference.

The tension in the line is the key to getting off to a good start. If it's just a little too loose, it will slowly dig into its self and cause some of the worse back lashes you'll ever see, and its not even your casting that caused it (so don’t get discouraged by a few birds nests).
Too much tension and you'll cause the line to have memory even if its a good line.
I spool line by feel... about every so often I'll feel the line with my fingers and make sure if "feels right" and I don’t know how to tell you what that feel is, haha. It just takes some practice... you don’t want to easily feel any spring or softness in the spool (too loose) and you don’t want to be able to slide the loops of line on top with your fingers (way too loose) but you don’t want it to feel like a solid rock either (way too tight)... you'll just have to play with it.

Now for the best tip anyone ever gave me with a casting reel. When your set up and ready to practice, put the same amount of weight on the line that your going to be fishing with or a little lighter... reel the weight up to a few inches from the tip and turn the breaking knob way up... depress the thumb button and see if your sinker fall's or just hangs there... you want it to hang in the air even with the thumb button pressed.
Now back off the breaking knob a little at a time until the sinker starts to fall at a slow but steady rate. When the sinker hits the ground the spool should stop dead with no over run at all...
This is where you start casting... now backlash will be prevented at the end of the cast, and you can concentrate on controlling through the initial part of the cast. It wont cast far, so don’t think it should.. that’s the point... this is practice. So don’t try to power the cast like your slinging a base ball bat.
You will find that after a few casts you can easily sling the lead with out any problems at all. So back off the breaking knob a little more so that the sinker falls a faster rate, but the spool will have just a small over run (maybe a half rotation at the most)... and start casting...

Full series of step-by-step video intructions, anotomy through casting.

https://www.monkeysee.com/play/1483-fishing-the-anatomy-of-casting-a-bait-casting-reel

Other useful links;
https://www.catcherman.com/features/baitcasters030307bud.htm

https://www.catcherman.com/features/baitcasters030307bud.htm

https://www.informativefisherman.com/

https://en.allexperts.com/q/Fishing-1634/Baitcaster.htm

https://www.fishing-tackle-repair.com/education/baitcaster-setup-101.html

Pratice Practice Practice. Good luck!

All good tips. Here is my 2 cents:

Go buy a $50 spinning reel and then buy a $150 spinning reel. There isnt a ton of difference. Maybe a smoother drag or lighter all together but certainly not a ton of differnce.

No go buy a $50 baitcaster and a $150 baitcaster. Night and day difference. I am a big fan of the earlier model curados. They were about $120 new. You can probably find them on this site or ebay of bbc etc... Im seeing used good reels for $50 to $60 a piece. They are simple to use and I rarely ever backlash.

Keep in mind you probably shouldnt use 8lb test on a baitcaster. I would reccomend a begginer baitcaster using 14 to 20 lb mono or flourocarbon. Stay away from braids for now until you get more confidence. My buddy insists on using fireline and I sware he backlashes about 30 or so time a day. I cant personally deal with that all day. Its frustrating and takes time out from what you should be doing, fishing!!!

On another funny note this is why I bought a nice baitcaster. I was about 21 and was drinking a few cold ones late evening and decided I would get up early the next morning and go wading in a local hot spot. Woke up hung over and tried to find my gear but it was no where to be found. So I grabbed my roommates rod and reel and tackle and headed out. I get to the parking spot, put on my waders, grab the rod and tackle and start walking. While walking I looked at the reel and thought "thats weird, this must be a newer model zebco push button special." I had never seen one like this before. I walked about a half mile then waded out another 300 yards or so. Very foggy, chilly, fish were jumping everywhere. I reached back and casted and whammo, the whole reel was birdsnested like nothing I have ever seen. I sware there could have been quail and pigeons nesting in there. So I was back home sleeping by 8:00 with no fish and a giant mess. I then bought my first nice baitcaster and thats that. Man, that was a long time ago.

Hoisten Hawgs has very good comments, I agree 100%.

Here is a great site for Abu Garcia baitcasters if anyone is interested. (Best reels bar none in my opinion...but that is coming from a catfisherman)
https://www.ffo-tackle.com/ProductDirectory.cfm?Show=Reels
You can usually find them 25-50% off.

Just stick with it. I was using a Zebco 33 and went to a baitcaster.....I'm not sorry I did....took me 3 or 4 trips of nothing but back lashes.....leave the other rods in the truck..but not at home....this will defeat you from putting it away...hhaha

JON

I never tried this and don't know if I ever will have to but it's worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc

clarker2000 said:
All good tips. Here is my 2 cents:

Go buy a $50 spinning reel and then buy a $150 spinning reel. There isnt a ton of difference. Maybe a smoother drag or lighter all together but certainly not a ton of differnce.
This maybe true but fish with a $350 spinning reel and the difference is amazing.

Zum said:
I never tried this and don't know if I ever will have to but it's worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc

Couldn't tell if he was pushing the spool release or not. Sounded like it was engaging the spool when he cranked but that could have just been his fingers hitting the crank. I'll be trying that myself when (not if) I "overrun" mine.

I also watched the monkeesee.com video clips and saw in the last one "where to cast" he was casting up to the Captain's Gig from the USS America.

I didn't know the thumb trick.
I'll be trying it also. Even though I still get an occasional backlash, nothing like it was when I first started using the baitcaster.
Thanks for posting.

I still get the odd backlash but never any big ones anymore(knocking on wood).Normally I get my thumb down in time to stop a catastrophy.I just find the loop,pull it back and I'm good to go.The video did look interesting though.

luckily when sbout ten years ago when i was 7 or 8 my dad stuck me in the front yard with an old daiwa baitcast and told me to go for it. about 3 or 4 weeks later and 5 or 6 spools of line i had it pretty well mastered. but keep working at it. i think throwing baitcasters are more fun than any other reel

Brine said:
Hang in there! I FEEL YOUR PAIN.

A couple things I learned that helped as a beginner

1. Practice on a lawn. It's less frustrating when you get a bird's nest and it doesn't cut into "fishing" time (as long as bird's nest isn't literal :oops: )
2. Use 12# or greater Monofiliament.
3. Hold your rod at a 45* angle and set the tension so that once you release the spool the lure falls slowly and the spool STOPS SPINNING as soon as the lure hits the ground. (repeat this process throughout your practice to ensure the reel has not come out of adjustment, which it proably will, slightly, after several casts)
4. Practice casting at targets rather than on distance. As your aim gets better, gradually move further from the target. Once you've gotten good at aim, you will find the "control" of a baitcaster is greater than a spinning reel.
5. When you release the lure, turn the palm of your hand face down towards the ground. Depending on whether or not your reel is left or right handed, your handle will either be facing the ground or the sky. Most "off the shelf" models are right-handed and the handle will face the sky with a right handed caster.
6. Keep your casting elbow against your hip. This is proabably one of the easiest ways to notice a novice. Most of the movement in your arm should come from below the elbow, and most of that movement should come from the wrist. If you try to "throw" the rod with all of your arm, you will have a hard time. FYI - this was one of the hardest things for me to overcome, as I grew up on spinning gear where bigger arm movements gave me longer casts. You really just need to watch the distance the tip moves in an arch which can be created by using the wrist alone. The centrifugal force provided from your wrist during the cast is enough to cast a weightless plastic 30-40 feet easy.

Lastly, figure out how a baitcaster can "enhance" your fishing ability and focus on that. The way I fish and the style I fish lends itself more so to spinning tackle than baitcasting. That said, I own twice as many baitcasters as I do spinning. #-o Unfortunately, it's taken alot of Bass Pro gift cards to realize that.
This info is right on the money Practice Practice Practice it will all fall togeather one day and you will say whats the big deal this isn't hard

Latest posts