Baking Soda as aluminum polish?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thill

Reaction score
Every once in awhile, I still use the old-fashioned trick of using a little baking soda along with my toothpaste to get my teeth feeling super-clean.

This reminded me that somewhere along the line, I seem to remember that it has also been used as a metal polish, but I can't remember if it was for chrome or if it was for aluminum.

I am planning to clean up our pontoon boat this fall. I know that both Mother's aluminum polish and 3M Fiberglass restorer both work great, but when you are doing a whole pontoon boat, those products get pretty expensive.

Has anyone here used baking soda to polish aluminum?

If not, I guess I can google it, and worst case, I can dampen a wool bonnet and sprinkle some on and see how it works...

If you are using one of the acid wash products to clean the aluminum as a first step, the baking soda would be an excellent neutralizer. Seems it would polish because it is gritty, but honestly I have no idea how well it might work for that.

If you are using one of the acid wash products to clean the aluminum as a first step, the baking soda would be an excellent neutralizer. Seems it would polish because it is gritty, but honestly I have no idea how well it might work for that.
Every once in awhile, I still use the old-fashioned trick of using a little baking soda along with my toothpaste to get my teeth feeling super-clean.

This reminded me that somewhere along the line, I seem to remember that it has also been used as a metal polish, but I can't remember if it was for chrome or if it was for aluminum.

I am planning to clean up our pontoon boat this fall. I know that both Mother's aluminum polish and 3M Fiberglass restorer both work great, but when you are doing a whole pontoon boat, those products get pretty expensive.

Has anyone here used baking soda to polish aluminum?

If not, I guess I can google it, and worst case, I can dampen a wool bonnet and sprinkle some on and see how it works...
I wonder how long it would take with toothpaste and toothbrush? :D :D :D

I use to clean spoons and spinner blades with it. ;)

People used to use it to clean silverware (real silver silverware).

Funny. I use gooey scented stuff on my spoons. Every so often I bring them in for a wash. Yesterday I was literally looking at the dish soap wondering if it would leave some residue the fish wouldn't like. Baking soda is the answer!

PS: I would use an electric toothbrush. :D