bass boy what do you think

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardwatergrampa

Reaction score
i can pick this up for 400. its a mid 70's whats your pros and cons been sitting in a heated garage for about 4 years its all original. Is it worth the chance
3nb3o83l0ZZZZZZZZZ942790ce72554ad17.jpg

3n53m23p6ZZZZZZZZZ942cc22eea4ddb618.jpg

3n13p63l0ZZZZZZZZZ942ee45a6d08d2416.jpg

3k63me3p6ZZZZZZZZZ942cf49294eaf3819.jpg

I'm not bassboy (obviously.lol) but I can tell you that motor is a good solid motor even if you have to put some money into it .

Its worth that much in parts!
I think it would be a good buy, see if you can check the compressions & the lower unit oil. Run it too. If she runs & there are not obvious problems, heck yeah it is worth $400.

If all checks out, buy it. I have that same motor (well, the blue Evinrude, but aside from paint and stickers, they are about identical), that is my main motor. Very reliable. Good design. Doesn't like to idle real low, but that is the nature of that size motor from that era (ie, look at something else if you are trolling with it).

And, if for whatever reason, you need some odd parts, I have a parts motor for those (lower unit is shot, and flywheel is cracked - previous owner abuse), but the rest is fine.

400 is worth it for that. I paid 325 for mine, in a sort of running state (he pull started it for us, and idled it for a bit, but it didn't run well). It needed a starter and the flywheel was cracked (which is why the parts motor now has a cracked flywheel, even though it didn't before). Since I already had the parts motor, I swapped the flywheel, starter, and fuel pump, then ordered new carb kit, spark plugs, points, condensers, and all lower unit seals, and now have around 475 or 500 in the whole motor (bought all OEM parts, for some stupid reason - I wasn't thinking, and just ordered them from BRP #-o ).

I am using it about once a week on average through the late fall, winter and early spring, and 1 - 2 times a week throughout the late spring (now) and 3 plus times a week in the summer. I have put around 50 hours on it since I got the boat in the water the last week of July. Will probably more than double that by the end of this year. Unless I find a stump or something at speed, I see no reason why this won't last me as long as the boat does.

he was asking 500 for it just got an answer back from him i made a counter offer of 350 he said thanks and gave me his phone # to call ill let ya know how she runs thanks for the help guys

picked the motor up last night looks like a solid motor no primer showing on the head anywhere so dont think she ever got over heated at anytime motor is as clean as the pictures has a few scraches on the cover prop looks like new guy says the motor was serviced every year Doesn't like to idle real low, but that is the nature of that size motor from that era (ie, look at something else if you are trolling with it). about what is the lowes trolling speed she likes i have a 4 horse kicker if i need it

the last post didnt post the way i wanted it to but bassboy about how low a seed will it troll at in your boat i troll 2 buckets with the 25hp and gett down to about 1-1.5 on the gps

hardwatergrampa said:
the last post didnt post the way i wanted it to but bassboy about how low a seed will it troll at in your boat i troll 2 buckets with the 25hp and gett down to about 1-1.5 on the gps

I have never GPS'd it, as I also have a 4 horse beside it I troll with. Towing 5 gallon buckets, I am fairly sure that it could get down to 1.5 or 2, but it doesn't like doing so. It just isn't a smooth idler, and I am sure that if you tried it for a while, it would start to get fussy, and want to stall out. Not to mention try to carbon up. This motor was clearly a WOT motor, and it will do that all day, every day.

ok bass boy maybe you can help me out with the motor i just picked up the 40 hp like yours went out this afternoon to see if it would run i am getting what i would call a intermedeit spark i have changed acoail,put in new plugs new key at the flywheel cleaned the magnets and flywheel unhooked the starter wires and tried to pull start it no luck she has tried to start a few time but doesnt catch reset the points they look like new any help on what to do next i have also looked for shorts in the wiring .if i unhook the leads to the coails and turn the motor over i get a light on my test light when hooked to the coail wires

So the test light shows a spark? Provided the plugs are good (you said they are new) the spark light will show whether or not you are getting spark.

If you indeed are getting spark, the problem may be a fuel related problem, in which the most likely problem is that the carbs are clogged, and a simple carb rebuild is all that is needed.

let me re word that if i unhook the mag wires from the coail i get a light on the test light from the mag wires but hooked back to the coails there is no fire at the plug wires i tried a spray of gas into the cyclenders as well with no luck

my 25HP won't spark when the wires from the points are connected to the kill switch , I disconnect those wires and it'll work fine , (the wires when connected together kill the engine by shorting the points to each other) even with the wires not hooked to anything it does this . take the wires off completely and it works just fine. so I just run it without the wires and choke it to kill it .

Macgyver said:
my 25HP won't spark when the wires from the points are connected to the kill switch , I disconnect those wires and it'll work fine , (the wires when connected together kill the engine by shorting the points to each other) even with the wires not hooked to anything it does this . take the wires off completely and it works just fine. so I just run it without the wires and choke it to kill it .

:( i dont have a kill switch or if i do i havent found it only kill switch is in the ing switch which iam sure must go to a groud some where . spent the day working on it after church this morning i did manage to get it to run several times today i let it run a good 5 min boy she sounded good untill the tank ran out of gas then forget it no fire at the plugs again i have changed the plugs again pulled the carb and went through that replaced the fuel lines for some reason i still think its a loss of spark

i have some type of switch on the stator plate that looks just like the netural safty switch ( same type of switch) maybe thats the kill switch

whether there is a kill switch connected or not , the wires are there coming from the points to a junction block on the side of the powerhead. how the kill switch works on these older engines is by connecting the points together via those wires to short out the points from working , therefore no spark. I don't know why mine will work with no wires connected to the points themselves ,but if I connect the wires to the points, they don't even have to be connected to the junction block and I get no spark. (even after replacing the wires, so I know there is nothing wrong with the wires themselves) so instead of worrying about it , I just run mine without the wires and just choke it to kill it .

thats my next step is to remove the wires and clean them and all the grounds maybe the pickup coails are gone or not grounded thanks for the helpfor the few min. i had it running it sounded good

one of the coials have a crack in it but it works on my 25 hp motor if it was bad wouldn i see an arc too bad i have 2 new ones on the 30hp rude but there notthe same

one of mine also has some small cracks in it and still works, but I expect it to lay down on me at any time.