Battery and charger

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogman

Reaction score
I have a minn Kota trolling motor 24lbs thrust it’s a little older but works great. I know I need a 27 deep cycle battery but not sure what kind of charger I should buy for it. My boat is just a 14ft aluminum boat so only the trolling motor will be using the battery and maybe a couple times a week at the most so I’ll be charging the battery at home after every trip. I’m just not sure what kind of charger I should get if anyone has any knowledge to share or recommendations much appreciated.

Assuming that your group 27 battery is flooded cell a regular charger will do just fine. If your looking for a brand recommendation, I always buy Schumacher and I currently have model SSC-1500A that is totally electronic and serves my needs very well... It came from Wal Mart several years ago but I'm certain it can be found on line. as well..

You need a charger that can handle the type of deep cycle battery that you plan to buy. Flooded Lead-acid, AGM, or LiFePO4.

Assuming a lead-acid (flooded), group 27 battery would be plenty for fishing, but might want a little bigger if used for locomotion. I have had good luck with walmart batteries if they are maintained well. The group 29DC might be worth considering.

A LiFePO4 battery and charger might also be worth considering. More than a LA, but will last much longer. It will be half the weight of a LA battery. I recently purchased two TimeUSB 100aH for our 24V trolling motor.

I would recommend a 10A charger, such that it will fully charge the battery overnight. A 5A one will work, if you are not planning to go out the next AM.

I have been using Noco chargers in recent years. They support all three battery types and have a maint mode to desulfate LA batteries. You can get them in marine, which have detachable ring connectors or ones with clamps, ie portable chargers. The clamps are detachable, as well, so you can add a ring termnal too. Both are fully encapsolated and waterproof.

Last edited:
Here is the awesome battery you want. It's a little bit more than a standard group 27, but is MUCH lighter, MUCH stronger and MUCH longer lasting: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CLP4SXLX

If you only use your motor lightly, maybe get this battery instead. Costs about the same as the group 27, and has about the same capacity, but has a MUCH longer lifespan: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHHQTQRT

Here is the charger you want: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BN1W15D6

I have all of the above myself, and they are all excellent performers and are an excellent value. I like them so much that over the years, I have crept up to 8 of the batteries, between the boats and the solar bank, and two of the chargers. The big ones were $170 on Amazon day, so I had to get a couple more. We are in an isolated area, and power outages happen on occasion.

Here is the awesome battery you want. It's a little bit more than a standard group 27, but is MUCH lighter, MUCH stronger and MUCH longer lasting: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CLP4SXLX

If you only use your motor lightly, maybe get this battery instead. Costs about the same as the group 27, and has about the same capacity, but has a MUCH longer lifespan: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHHQTQRT

Here is the charger you want: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BN1W15D6

I have all of the above myself, and they are all excellent performers and are an excellent value. I like them so much that over the years, I have crept up to 8 of the batteries, between the boats and the solar bank, and two of the chargers. The big ones were $170 on Amazon day, so I had to get a couple more. We are in an isolated area, and power outages happen on occasion.
Thanks for that info....I will be switching from my current dual group 31 lead acid to Lifepo4 when these give up. Will one 100ah lifepo4 do the same job that my two current Batteries do on my 12v 55# trolling motor or do I need two lifepo4 batteries. My research has not showed much real world experience in their comments.

Thanks for that info....I will be switching from my current dual group 31 lead acid to Lifepo4 when these give up. Will one 100ah lifepo4 do the same job that my two current Batteries do on my 12v 55# trolling motor or do I need two lifepo4 batteries. My research has not showed much real world experience in their comments.

How far down do you typically run those two G31 batteries to? If to 50% or lower you will completely drain the 100aH LiFePO4 and should get two. If 60%, than might squeak by with one. If 75% or higher, one should be fine.

One or two, you will save allot weight. Also, you can do a nearly full discharge, that would shorten a lead acid batteries life.

While I could have squeaked by with two 50/60aH LiFePO4s, I wanted to be near the recommended 50% discharge point for storage. It will allow for two days of fishing, if we decide to camp on the river, too.

Typically down to 60-70%, but on ocassion down to 60 or below. Might try just one, if not enough, can always buy another. Are there 125 ah batteries where one might work?

Typically down to 60-70%, but on ocassion down to 60 or below. Might try just one, if not enough, can always buy another. Are there 125 ah batteries where one might work?
A search on Amazon did produce a 125ah one. More options at 150ah. These are brands that are not “Thill Tested” though. ;);)

Last edited:
In a different thread I posted Amp draw at motor speed setting for a 12V Minnkota with 100Ah LiFePo4 battery. Could help you decide how big you need to go. I wouldn't worry about the 50% charge for storage if you're talking about week to week or even monthly storage. Anywhere from 30-70% SOC would be fine.

In a different thread I posted Amp draw at motor speed setting for a 12V Minnkota with 100Ah LiFePo4 battery. Could help you decide how big you need to go. I wouldn't worry about the 50% charge for storage if you're talking about week to week or even monthly storage. Anywhere from 30-70% SOC would be fine.
I doubt if there is any magic at 50% and 30-70% seems very reasonable. I think the main problem would be leaving it near fully discharged. The BMS is a slow drain and after it drops below the shut-off threshold it may require a special procedure to “wake” them up. I have had to do that with drone batteries.

I doubt if there is any magic at 50% and 30-70% seems very reasonable. I think the main problem would be leaving it near fully discharged. The BMS is a slow drain and after it drops below the shut-off threshold it may require a special procedure to “wake” them up. I have had to do that with drone batteries.
Full charge can be an even bigger problem. It's always best to charge your Lithium batteries the night before heading out. When you get back, unless they're deeply discharged, leave them where they are and wait for your next outing to charge.
And the BMS shouldn't be the problem. Self discharge just happens at anywhere from 1-3% a month.

Uh
It does require a procedure to wake them up but is as simple as jumping with another battery. As far as 12 volt 150 AMP lifep04 I know ecoworthy makes one. I can’t speak for that particular unit but I run two 100 AH Ecoworthy in series to run my trolling motor and they have been very good so far. Also run my electronics on an ecoworthy 50 amp that’s been good as well. Im only on my second season with them. YMMV.

Full charge can be an even bigger problem. It's always best to charge your Lithium batteries the night before heading out. When you get back, unless they're deeply discharged, leave them where they are and wait for your next outing to charge.
And the BMS shouldn't be the problem. Self discharge just happens at anywhere from 1-3% a month.
That’s the plan. Break my LA charging routine that has been engrained in me for a lifetime. :).

Uh

It does require a procedure to wake them up but is as simple as jumping with another battery. As far as 12 volt 150 AMP lifep04 I know ecoworthy makes one. I can’t speak for that particular unit but I run two 100 AH Ecoworthy in series to run my trolling motor and they have been very good so far. Also run my electronics on an ecoworthy 50 amp that’s been good as well. Im only on my second season with them. YMMV.
I’m curious if you had to use that method. It would seem that once it woke up, it’s going to draw high current from the other battery.

I’m curious if you had to use that method. It would seem that once it woke up, it’s going to draw high current from the other battery.
what I did was run a jumper from a known charged battery and connected my charger as well. It woke up the BMS and I disconnected the jumper.

It is the recommended method (from the mfg) if you don't have a charger that resets the BMS. In fact, mfg of my batteries recommended it to reset my 20Ah accessory battery by connecting it to my 100Ah. So no issues.

It is the recommended method (from the mfg) if you don't have a charger that resets the BMS. In fact, mfg of my batteries recommended it to reset my 20Ah accessory battery by connecting it to my 100Ah. So no issues.
I don’t have access to my manuals but suspect the same. Does it mention wire size to use? Just thinking out loud. I’d assume it would go into charge mode. The charged battery is going to supply current up to its max, usually around 70A. Charge rates run from 25-50% of ah capacity. Not sure if the BMS will limit that current. The BMS programming is usually unique to each mfg. So, I’m am curious to what happened right after the reset.