Been stormy here

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
Been hot and stormy here like much of the country. Finally got a nice day today and got out on the lake this morning. We have started to limit the size of our catch to 14 fish (bluegills). That makes 2 meals for us and that's all I want to clean at one time anymore. Of course we have trouble keeping count while catching and ended up with 17. 1 1/2 hours on the lake and we were back on the trailer and heading for home. If you don't have a vacuum sealer you should really investigate getting one. They are great and no freezer burn after months in the freezer. Hope everyone is having a great summer.

052823c.JPG

Love bluegill fishing, lost my bluegill partener about ten years back from cancer, haven't been bluegill fishing since.
Larry had a knack for cleaning them, the two of us could clean up 30 in an hour. Yum...great eating !!
I have to disagree on the food saver when it comes to fish fillets. I am an avid perch fisherman and tried the vacuum sealer on many ocassions. I have found that freezing them in water lasts far longer, even a full year with no sign of freezer burn as ling as the fillets are surrounded in water. I was getting 3-4 months in vacuum bags but easily get a year in solid water. Over this past winter, we had some friends over for a fish fry. We had a couple pkgs that were 13-14 months old. Thawed them out, just like the day they were packaged!! Friends ask how we got fresh fillets in winter ?? Been using water to freeze my fillets for almost 60 years, tried other options, but nothing works as well as sealed in water in my opinion.

Latest posts