Best Trolling Motor Plug/Receptacle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
I have my older 45 lb thrust bow mount Motorguide trolling motor wired straight to a basic lead acid battery in a battery box on the floor behind my small front deck. I plan to upgrade to a 100ah lithium battery asap plus I want to get rid of the battery being in the way plus the wires sitting on top for the deck. I will need to explore the best new location for the battery, but no matter where I end up putting it I want to do a traditional and clean plug and receptacle. I've read stories on this site and elsewhere of the plugs being the week point where the cables, breaker, and everything else is sized right and having issues there with heat when running on high settings for continuous amounts of time - such as spot locked in current. Worth noting I also plan to get a 55 lb thrust Terrova (or similar model) with ipilot in the near future as well and those are listed as a 50A max draw with 60A breaker. I also have 2 other boats I may swap these plugs out on. Any recommendations on a good one to get for my setup(s)? Would be nice if they dont break the bank since I may need up to 3 sets.

I recently did some searching on just this subject when upgrading to LiFePO4 batteries. I'll warn you what many said was the best are not reasonably priced.

Our existing plug is what came from the factory. A standard 2 prong push in type connector, with a "T" handle to pull it back out. With more than two seasons of use there were a couple of times where we were not geting a good connection. Most likely caused by inadvertantly stepping on the wire near the plug end. We figured it out quickly and restored connection. Contacts did not burn or coroad.

The more reasonably priced one found was the Marinco 70A plug. It is a plug-in style, but with much more current capacity. Theoretically, if it partially pulled out, it would still have enough capacity for te motor.

I ended up with one of the most exensive options, one from Battery Tender with 80A capacity. It has a 90 degree plug and a thumbwheel that draws and lock it it with one turn, MK has a very similar style and can be purchased for a little less. I wouldn't want to buy three of them! I splurged by telling myself it is the last one I'll ever buy.

Those 55lb motors according to MK need 4awg for any ext runs of 10' or more, and not many plugs support that large of wire.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0033 (1).jpg
    IMG_0033 (1).jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0034 (1).jpg
    IMG_0034 (1).jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I recently did some searching on just this subject when upgrading to LiFePO4 batteries. I'll warn you what many said was the best are not reasonably priced.

Our existing plug is what came from the factory. A standard 2 prong push in type connector, with a "T" handle to pull it back out. With more than two seasons of use there were a couple of times where we were not geting a good connection. Most likely caused by inadvertantly stepping on the wire near the plug end. We figured it out quickly and restored connection. Contacts did not burn or coroad.

The more reasonably priced one found was the Marinco 70A plug. It is a plug-in style, but with much more current capacity. Theoretically, if it partially pulled out, it would still have enough capacity for te motor.

I ended up with one of the most exensive options, one from Battery Tender with 80A capacity. It has a 90 degree plug and a thumbwheel that draws and lock it it with one turn, MK has a very similar style and can be purchased for a little less. I wouldn't want to buy three of them! I splurged by telling myself it is the last one I'll ever buy.

Those 55lb motors according to MK need 4awg for any ext runs of 10' or more, and not many plugs support that large of wire.
Really appreciate the reply. I saw the similar MK one earlier while browsing through the Terrova 55 lb specs. I did have a little sticker shock. But like you, I hate how most of the traditional plugs all seem really cheap and then use at most 8awg lead wires. I guess for now I could splurge for a good one for my main boat I will be working on first.

My second boat is a small 1440 and more of a creek boat so I won't be demanding too much out of the 46 lb thrust TM it has on it. I could probably get away with a basic plug or better yet may use an Anderson connector or something similar. 3rd boat is in very early full rebuild phase which means its probably a year or two until I even get to the point I'll be messing with that part lol. But it is a more traditional small bass boat so I will want a clean install there for sure.

BTW, if I put the new battery in the sternmost compartment and run the wiring over and up the port side of my 1648, I will be in the 15-20 ft length run one way. I'm actually seeing 2awg as the recommendation for that run. Those thicker cables really go up in price. Where did you buy your TM cables from?

Really appreciate the reply. I saw the similar MK one earlier while browsing through the Terrova 55 lb specs. I did have a little sticker shock. But like you, I hate how most of the traditional plugs all seem really cheap and then use at most 8awg lead wires. I guess for now I could splurge for a good one for my main boat I will be working on first.

My second boat is a small 1440 and more of a creek boat so I won't be demanding too much out of the 46 lb thrust TM it has on it. I could probably get away with a basic plug or better yet may use an Anderson connector or something similar. 3rd boat is in very early full rebuild phase which means its probably a year or two until I even get to the point I'll be messing with that part lol. But it is a more traditional small bass boat so I will want a clean install there for sure.

BTW, if I put the new battery in the sternmost compartment and run the wiring over and up the port side of my 1648, I will be in the 15-20 ft length run one way. I'm actually seeing 2awg as the recommendation for that run. Those thicker cables really go up in price. Where did you buy your TM cables from?

From Amazon: 6AWG But don't think that brand offers 4 or 2 awg. That some thick wire to work with. I take it your front deck is too low to stuff a battery up there. Thats were mine is in the 1648, and wire is only 5' to the plug. I used this style of plug on that boat: PLUG with 6awg. Never an issue, but takes some wiggling to get apart and not a nice finished look with wire and plug sticking thru a hole in the deck.

From Amazon: 6AWG But don't think that brand offers 4 or 2 awg. That some thick wire to work with. I take it your front deck is too low to stuff a battery up there. Thats were mine is in the 1648, and wire is only 5' to the plug. I used this style of plug on that boat: PLUG with 6awg. Never an issue, but takes some wiggling to get apart and not a nice finished look with wire and plug sticking thru a hole in the deck.
My front deck is the factory Alumacraft one which is about 4' long and has 3/4" plywood under it. There is a small cubby on the back side and then it has foam under it as well. My 1648 was the one with no center seat from the factory so it has foam under the rear bench and the side pods that go to transom plus under the front deck. I actually can get a 100ah lithium in the bow cubby if I turn it on its side. Eventually I will extend my front deck and 100% put the battery up front. So it may be a waste to stick in in the back and buy expensive cable if that wont be permanent. Its been a while since I investigated what it looks like under the deck. I have to stick a borescope type camera up the crimped channels on the sides to get a good view.

I do plan to get a fabricator to do a 6-8" bow plate on the front across the gunnels and extend it down one side for the TM so I could go ahead and cut an access panel since that will cover it in the future. Seems like from a cost perspective, doing what I can to keep the battery up front the whole time will save money in the long run. Also whenever I do extend the front deck, that cubby will become difficult to reach so it may be a good place to permanently house the TM battery and maybe a smaller aux battery since they wont need accessed once they are installed correctly.

FWIW: Not sure if it is all LiFePO4 batteries or just the TimeUSB, they indicate the battery must be upright. ie not like an AGM.

The DMI1648 had a very short aluminum front deck which I made longer with plywood. Came back about 12" or so, and that is where the battery sits.

Attachments

• IMG_6072.jpg
    IMG_6072.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
FWIW: Not sure if it is all LiFePO4 batteries or just the TimeUSB, they indicate the battery must be upright. ie not like an AGM.

The DMI1648 had a very short aluminum front deck which I made longer with plywood. Came back about 12" or so, and that is where the battery sits.
I know a few can be installed most any position. That may be one of the few advantages of some of the more pricey name brands. I did look at the power queens and saw that their standard 12v 100ah battery is limited to upright or on the 2 short sides, however their "mini" version can be on any side, even upside down.

I may do a temporary deck extension similar to yours using some aluminum angle and scrap plywood.