Fuel line question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red12

Reaction score
Does anyone know what fuel line I need for a 1972 Evinrude 4206? It appears to have three prongs where it attaches, and everything I see has two.

775640 is just common 1/4" rubber fuel hose.
Any good quality reinforced fuel hose should work just fine. I buy mine from Stens, I get several years out of it, longer if I bother to put it in a sleeve to keep the UV light off it. I wasn't getting more than a year or two from the marine hose I was buying.
I cut a length of black vinyl tubing, the stuff they use to cover air lines on heavy trucks and slide that over my fuel hose on both sides of the bulb. I also buy crimp clamps vs using worm clamps that get caught on everything in the boat or cut into the hose. If I have to use worm clamps I'll cut a piece of either paper or plastic to go between the clamp and the hose so the clamp doesn't cut into the hose. The pinch type clamps though work best.

Avoid the gray vinyl hose some aftermarket marine dealers sell, it'll hard up and crack in short order both UV and ethanol tear that stuff up fast. The size of the fuel hose between the motor and tank is really determined by the size of the barbs on each end, if your quick disconnects have 1/4" barbs, use 1/4" hose, if they have 5/16" barbs, then use 5/16" hose. it'll make no difference in the end. The same if they're 3/8".
The diameter of the hose won't matter just so long as it fits without any leaks.
1/4" line though is sufficient flow wise for all but the highest hp, highest performance motors.
Any motor most of us will have on a tin boat will only require 1/4" line to be able to draw enough fuel.

775640 is just common 1/4" rubber fuel hose.
Any good quality reinforced fuel hose should work just fine. I buy mine from Stens, I get several years out of it, longer if I bother to put it in a sleeve to keep the UV light off it. I wasn't getting more than a year or two from the marine hose I was buying.
I cut a length of black vinyl tubing, the stuff they use to cover air lines on heavy trucks and slide that over my fuel hose on both sides of the bulb. I also buy crimp clamps vs using worm clamps that get caught on everything in the boat or cut into the hose. If I have to use worm clamps I'll cut a piece of either paper or plastic to go between the clamp and the hose so the clamp doesn't cut into the hose. The pinch type clamps though work best.

Avoid the gray vinyl hose some aftermarket marine dealers sell, it'll hard up and crack in short order both UV and ethanol tear that stuff up fast. The size of the fuel hose between the motor and tank is really determined by the size of the barbs on each end, if your quick disconnects have 1/4" barbs, use 1/4" hose, if they have 5/16" barbs, then use 5/16" hose. it'll make no difference in the end. The same if they're 3/8".
The diameter of the hose won't matter just so long as it fits without any leaks.
1/4" line though is sufficient flow wise for all but the highest hp, highest performance motors.
Any motor most of us will have on a tin boat will only require 1/4" line to be able to draw enough fuel.
"slide that over my fuel hose on both sides of the bulb"...? How about giving that bulb a bit-o-love.. I find if they are exposed to the sun they might make it 2 seasons b4 becoming rock hard.. I slip a olde sock over them and get several years out of each...

I believe it was the gray with red or orange print on them that had the problems. The gray with blue printed letters should be good. The gray color hose is designed to stay cooler and help with vapor lock. Supposedly the black hose can heat up enough in the sun to cause vapor lock.

I had one fuel line, (Came in an OEM Evinrude clamshell package), that got so hard it crumbled like it was made of clay after half a season. It was gray with black lettering, with a white inner liner. When it broke, even the fibers broke apart.
I've been using Yamaha primer bulbs, they seem to last for years. I run regular fuel hose, the kind rated for fuel injection, and I insulate it with heater hose. I also have a flap of rubber that I lay over the tank and fuel hose to keep the sun off it. I think the rubber is a piece of roofing rubber.

I've also got a few really old primer bulbs here that for some reason never went bad, not sure on the brand but they don't leak and still work, but they're pretty much just for use at home to test run motors on the stand. I think the one actually has OMC embossed right into the bulb in big letters. I've had it since the late 80's or so, and it came off a used boat I bought back then. I likely replaced the fuel hose on it a few times but the bulb kept getting reused.

Yea I think the bulbs that came out for ethanol hardend up the quickest... I have done some autopsy by splitting open bulbs.. the check valve flapper varies widely in material and shape... ...
I like a sock on my bulb... as one of them leads to a black hand !!!
I do carry a fuel transfer hoze/bulb in a zip lock bag and it still gets my hand black!!!
and my 3 gal tank.. fits nicely into a silver insulated plastic food shipping bag.. ..

Does anyone know what fuel line I need for a 1972 Evinrude 4206? It appears to have three prongs where it attaches, and everything I see has two.
Any after ma
if you don’t have a dealer near you, any aftermarket three prong will work. Make sure the hose and tank connection is tight. I bought a new tank for my 1970 Avenue Road because the hose was not tight on the tank and sucked in air and will keep, shutting off