Bilge pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boz Mon

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out options for a bilge pump to use on my jet Jon. I don't know if someone makes a low profile bilge pump that will work in an inch or less of water or if there is a remote pump that I can mount somewhere higher and run a hose down. Or if there's something that I'm overlooking please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at this pump - the Whale 650gph bilge pump. I used one like it on my toona boat in the front bilge and it would pump down to about 1/2" of water, but note ... only in MANUAL mode! When used with an auto-sensing switch, you need to have the switch above the water level otherwise it would cycle all the time, so in auto mode it would leave a good ~1" or more of water in my bilge.

To get it to pump as low as possible I made a bracket that forced the screen pick-up head right down onto the fiberglass hull bottom.

$47 at https://www.starmarinedepot.com/whale-bilge-pump-supersub-650gph-automatic-12v.html

Attachments

• Whale bilge pump.jpg
    Whale bilge pump.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 619
I was actually checking those out. I wasn't sure how close to the bottom of the boat the pickup sat. Do you have any pics for reference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boz Mon said:
I was actually checking those out. I wasn't sure how close to the bottom of the boat the pickup sat. Do you have any pics for reference?
I don't, but the intake grill for the pump is on the immediate bottom of the yellow part to the LEFT as posted.

Found the specs from the Whale (manufacturer) page:
Low profile design for narrow bilges which can be installed with horizontal or vertical outlet position. Pump can be mounted on horizontal or vertical surface. Flow rate of 500 US gals per hour and very low power consumption. Easy to clean with "twist lock" assembly/disassembly. Removable strainer is designed to leave a minimum water level 3/8" in bilge. 3/4" Non return valve fitted in line stops water flowing back into bilge (LV1219). Recommended optional extra - 3/4" Non return valve fitted in line stops water flowing back into bilge. Can be used with Whale's BE9001 float switch.

Here's a 500gph version for only $22 - https://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/search.cgi?keywords=ss5012&Click+to+Search.x=0&Click+to+Search.y=0

Note the check valve or 'non return valve' as referenced above will need to be used to pump as low as possible. Understand that check valves impeded GPG flow achieved and can fail - should be serviced routinely to ensure 100% operation.

Latest posts