Boat hops up and down

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassangler33

Reaction score
I have a 14' grumman deep v with a 25 hp johnson,when at full throttle the boat seems to hop up and down. ive adjusted trim as low as i could ,it helped but still hops. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Where is your cavitation plate in relation to the bottom of your boat?Also, look at the bottom of your boat,is it flat or does it have a slight curve to it?Use a straight edge.

I believe the technical term for that is "porpoising". I don't have any advice, but that term might help you in your search for a solution.

Even out your weight distrubution and that might help. I have a 14ft flatbottom with a 20 horse johnson that used to do the same but after I added a casting deck and moved my gas tank to the bow the problem went away.

crazymanme2 said:
Where is your cavitation plate in relation to the bottom of your boat?Also, look at the bottom of your boat,is it flat or does it have a slight curve to it?Use a straight edge.
I took a pic of it this doesnt show it but it is just a hair above the bottom of the boat.The motor is all the way down on the transom

Attachments

• 100403_093509.jpg
    100403_093509.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 912
I would start with raising your motor about 1". If that did not help it I would look at weight distribution. If that is not possible then I would consider a hydrofoil.

Latest posts