Boat rating sticker?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoneDigger

Reaction score
The boat I bought used is an Alweld 1542. It's a 1996 model. It has a "Coastguard approved" sticker but there is no sticker for maximum horsepower rating, occupancy, or weight limits. I thought about contacting Alweld but there is no way to contact them through their website and their Facebook page is not active.

I'm in Texas, and I know laws may vary by state. I'm just wondering it that's ever likely to be an issue? Would a GW ticket for that?

Also, any ideas how to contact these people?

I think your question is if you could get a ticket for a missing capacity plate. I would be very surprised but admit I'm just guessing. Maybe call your Texas Fish and Wildlife and ask them.

Not to say it wouldn't be a good idea to know the capacity rating for safety reasons.

Last edited:
Coast card safety mandates are federal not state. Whatever the mfgr rates the max weight, max hp, etc is going to be the same in every state.
Thanks for the reply. The question I was asking is whether not having that sticker/plate could result in a ticket from a game warden.

I think your question is if you could get a ticket for a missing capacity plate. I would be very surprised but admit I'm just guessing. Maybe call your Texas Fish and Wildlife and ask them.

Not to say it wouldn't be a good idea to know the capacity rating for safety reasons.
Correct, and thanks for clarifying. I called an ex employee today who is a game warden and she said she had never heard of a game warden checking that.

Here in NY, never have been inspected for CG sticker. On my 1648, they would have to crawl under the front deck to read. Only have been asked for fishing license and life jackets. As of 2025, every boat operator will need a safe boaters course, even us “seasoned” guys.

Your insurance company probably has the ratings based from the HIN.

Correct, and thanks for clarifying. I called an ex employee today who is a game warden and she said she had never heard of a game warden checking that.
If you were overpowered and had an accident, then you would be liable for that accident from overpowering your boats max rating. But never heard of a ticket otherwise. Once you find the proper ratings, you can have a BIA plate made up.

Here in NY, never have been inspected for CG sticker. On my 1648, they would have to crawl under the front deck to read. Only have been asked for fishing license and life jackets. As of 2025, every boat operator will need a safe boaters course, even us “seasoned” guys.

Is this safe boaters course Nationwide or just NY? I dont consider myself "seasoned" as I have only been boating for 4 years and am old but back in the day when I was a kid we didnt need to have boats registered for a trolling motor. When I got my boat 4 years ago I had to register because it because of the trolling motor but in VA as of now do not need to take a boating course and have a license unless your over 9.9 horse power which I dont intend on going over as I do reservoir fishing which dont allow gas motors. I have been thinking about taking the course just to have a liscense though. You never know in an emergency or if on somone elses boat whos captain may have had one to many.

Really, that's a bunch of crap. Formerly from NY, taxes, rules and regs are pushing New Yorkers out in droves. My family is still up there and they are just about fed up with the things that are going on up there.

Is this safe boaters course Nationwide or just NY? I dont consider myself "seasoned" as I have only been boating for 4 years and am old but back in the day when I was a kid we didnt need to have boats registered for a trolling motor. When I got my boat 4 years ago I had to register because it because of the trolling motor but in VA as of now do not need to take a boating course and have a license unless your over 9.9 horse power which I dont intend on going over as I do reservoir fishing which dont allow gas motors. I have been thinking about taking the course just to have a liscense though. You never know in an emergency or if on somone elses boat whos captain may have had one to many.

The law was enacted a few years ago. They went after the younger boaters first, but in 2025, even us old inland sea dogs must have it. :rolleyes:

My son had to take a class just to register his boat in NJ. The card is good for NY too,

The law was enacted a few years ago. They went after the younger boaters first, but in 2025, even us old inland sea dogs must have it. :rolleyes:

My son had to take a class just to register his boat in NJ. The card is good for NY too,

Same for my state. Started in 2018 with under age 20 then went up in age group segments each year. I'm due with the last group next year. They call it a boater's card. Have to pass a test. If I understand correctly, they exempt people renting a boat. That seems kind of backwards but no one asked me.

Thanks for the info. Will go on and take it before the end of the year just to have it. Thanks again

I don't know. I kind of compare it to passing a driver's test. There are all kinds of knuckleheads out there creating dangerous situations. If the course/test makes them at least slightly more aware then it is a good thing for all of us.

When Ohio passed the safe boating reqyirement, many of us older experienced guys were grandfathered in. My grandkids wanted to operate my boat so they took the course, and I took it with them in case I might learn something. Thru the course, I made a few suggestions about things that could be done better, easier to understand etc. When the course was over and test scores were given out, they ask me if I wanted to teach a course.....flattered, but after seeing many folks that should never own a boat....declined !!

Latest posts