Boat weight

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
Is there a way to find "approximately" how much my boat weighs?
It is 16' 1952 Alumacraft.

Just the boat itself..

Am looking to see how much thrust I need for a trolling motor...

And yes, I am considering "guys in boat" and my deck, motor...etc..... which I could weigh separately.

But wanted to know what I was starting with baseline.

thx

There's a website that has boat specs, I dont' know if they go back as far as that boat.

If it's the standard Alumacraft Deep V, I'd say 600-900 lbs depending on decking etc. The newer boats are 880lbs hull weight w/o motor, but with decking.

Noooooo way... I can move this thing around myself... I am thinking more like 200lbs...ish..

But would like the exact weight if possible...I have never tried to "Weigh" it... nor would I even know how...

It is a combination rowboat, motorboat...

DSCN2075.JPG

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=347102#p347102 said:
Plasticmotif » 30 minutes ago[/url]"]There's a website that has boat specs, I dont' know if they go back as far as that boat.

If it's the standard Alumacraft Deep V, I'd say 600-900 lbs depending on decking etc. The newer boats are 880lbs hull weight w/o motor, but with decking.

Go with the most powerful trolling motor along with the batteries you can afford. For your boat I'd say 50 + lbs of thrust. as far as brands go both MotorGuide & Minn Kota make good trolling motors now. 45lbs of thrust is almost to small for my 14ft semi v with deck & gear. I nearly got swamped when it wouldn't pull me out of a cove when a major cold front blew in earlier than expected (30 mph down drafts = scary boat ride) ( weatherman was wrong :x ) When the budget allows/can afford it I'm going to try and find an 82lb motor guide for my boat. In my opinion you can never have to much power; never know when your going to need it. If your looking to weigh your boat try to find a local sale barn ( live stock ) most when asked politely will let you use their scales or if there is a hwy weigh station near you go there. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision making.

Find the nearest truck scales and weigh your truck and trailer with and without the boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=347336#p347336 said:
e5earley » 03 Apr 2014, 09:44[/url]"]Find the nearest truck scales and weigh your truck and trailer with and without the boat.

Yep, that is by far the easiest way. I know the scales we have here at work are =/- 10lb so it should be fairly accurate