Braids vs Mono

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50lb braid is way too heavy imo. I use 30lb on my frog rod and fish some serious cover in the summer. 10-20lb on everything else. I have never broken a fish off on a leader knot, and when I break off on snags it is rarely at the leader knot, it is generally at the bait. I use a uni to uni knot for the leader and a palomar to the bait. If you are not using a leader with the braid, be sure to use a palomar knot, as many other knots will pull through.

I don't care if anyone else uses braid, it is all preference and what type of waters you fish.

We hoisted 3 7ft gators in the boat a few years ago using 50lb spider wire. Im a mono man myself but the braid is super strong.
S. Koonce

1) I use 20# or 30# Superbraid casting for Stripers. I tie on the equivalent pound flourocarbon leader, about 20' - 40'.
2) I also use 20# Superbraid on a reel using Downriggers trolling for Trout. Here I use about 100' of fluorocarbon leader, a little lighter, about 8# to 12#.

One tip I have been told is to start filling your reel with mono/flouro first, tying in the Superbraid on top, and then finishing off with the leader (if a leader is for you). Supposedly it will aid in the Superbraid not "biting" into itself under high tension, which I used to have a problem with when I first started using it.