Burnt mounting bracket to lower end ground cable

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
A few weeks ago my starting battery rubbed against the side of the bench seats in my aluminum boat causing it to arc out. My new 15hp Mercury 4 stroke (electric start) was hooked up and the only apparent damage was the ground cable that is connected between motor mounting bracket and lower unit. I replaced the cable and terminals and tested motor, seemed to be running fine. Took it out on the water and everything worked great. A few days later i noticed the the cable i had replaced was still intact but looked like it had been hot. I replaced it again just to be sure and it before I even had a chance to get it on the water it had burnt to a crisp, motor was never started.

I did a few tests today and I may be looking at replacing the battery cable. Im thinking when battery arc'd out, It may have heated the cable and ruined it. All connections are clean and had a good fit. Again, this is a brand new motor.

I read this website showing how to test battery cable https://www.ehow.com/how_5455908_check-resistance-battery-cables.html

The positive test- i hooked digital multimeters red wire to positive terminal on battery, i then hooked multimeters black wire to starters positive connection. After holding down starter button Multimeter read .4 V

The negative test- i hooked multimeters red wire to metal housing of starter and hooked black wire to the negative terminal. After holding down starter button Multimeter read .3

The website says anything above .3 is not good. Does it sound like I diagnosed this properly? The motor is still under warranty but since it was my fault I doubt I can get it fixed under warranty.

I have read a lot of ,mis-information on eHow so I wouldn't take what I read there to heart. I have never heard of testing a battery cable that way.

I guess I don't understand why there is a ground wire from the motor head to the lower unit. As far as I know my old Mercury doesn't have one.

Sounds to me like somewhere, probably in the engine you have burned off the installation and it is shorting out. Trace your wires and look for bear spots, doesn't take a very big spot to cause a problem and you will more than likely have to move the wires around to find it.

Latest posts