Buying first aluminum boat--question about G3 transoms from the 2000s.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpt50

Reaction score
I've decided to go aluminum for my next boat. There are some new ones I really like (Seaark and Xpress 18s), but I'm thinking maybe I should go used for the first one in case I don't like it. I've found a nice 07 G3 1860, but I'm worried about the transom problems I keep reading about on various forums. Apparently the treated wood used in the transom reacted with the aluminum and caused serious corrosion problems. Does anyone know if G3 had rectified the problem by 2007? One might think that surely the corrosion would have shown up by now and I would see evidence upon close inspection, but this boat has seen almost no use, and stored inside. It's barely ever seen the water. I've spent a ton of time googling and binging. G3 boats are wood free now, but I can't find out they stopped using wood.

Do you have a pic of the inside of the transom? Should be able to tell if it is wood or not from that. G3 might be able to answer, as well. Picure attached of our 2022 all welded transom.

My experience with that issue in my 1648 DMI, there was no visable indications on the outside. If there are pin holes on the outter skin, I'd shy away. Has the back of the transom been freshly painted? Only after taking it apart, did I find the "worm tracks" from the corrosion where it was touching the PT wood. Now mine was mostly water logged from many years. Water will accelerate the action, and this was still over 20 years time. Yours being kept dry, might be OK.

Attachments

• IMG_9916.jpg
    IMG_9916.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 1
Do you have a pic of the inside of the transom? Should be able to tell if it is wood or not from that. G3 might be able to answer, as well. Picure attached of our 2022 all welded transom.

My experience with that issue in my 1648 DMI, there was no visable indications on the outside. If there are pin holes on the outter skin, I'd shy away. Has the back of the transom been freshly painted? Only after taking it apart, did I find the "worm tracks" from the corrosion where it was touching the PT wood. Now mine was mostly water logged from many years. Water will accelerate the action, and this was still over 20 years time. Yours being kept dry, might be OK.
Thanks! So if the transom has wood, it would be thick and smooth like a fiberglass boat, rather than have the cross bracing like in your picture?

So I just heard back from G3 boats, and they confirmed that 2007 models do have pressure treated wood in the transom and front and rear decks. Is this a boat to avoid, or if I don't see any corrosion, go ahead with the purchase? Thanks!

Latest posts