Cable/Pulley Steering...cable fell off drum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicktheww2fanatic

Reaction score
Hey folks, I tried my new to me 1986 Meyers (15' with a side console) about an hour ago, and everything went great until the very end. The 1970 Chrysler 25hp started right up, and we had non problems out on the water. While I was backing my trailer into the water (boy is that difficult for the noob...) my friend was maneuvering my boat into position...well the cables popped off the drum and he lost steering... Can anyone help me out on how to get them back on?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Edited 5/8/13 to add pictures

Check for a tension adjuster somewhere, maybe near the motor. One bit of advise is to check the steering after you reinstall the cable BEFORE YOU GET ON THE WATER AGAIN. I reinstalled my cable on an old boat I once had. My GF just about died laughing when we hit the water next time as turning the wheel left caused the boat to go right!

Looks like the end is splitting off of your spool and that may be why your cable swarmed on you. When you rewind the cable, release the tension at the adjusters, wrap the cables onto the spool, tighten the adjusters to take out the slack. Keep in mind that the 2 cables wrap onto the spool so that when you rotate the spool/steering wheel in one direction, one cable will be rolled onto the spool while the other cable is rolled off of the spool.

When you get one side wrapped on put a little duct tape around it to keep the cable from coming off while you wrap the other side on.
The jacket looks cracked it might be time for new cables or an updated steering system.

I can replace the cables myself, as it looks simple enough. It does indeed look as if the drum lip (flange?) is almost tearing off the end. Do you think a weld would hold it on? I work at a shop (in the office but its good to have friends...) that can probably weld it up for me for free.