Camping Tools

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which self-inflator do you use. I had one (cheap) that was worthless. The ones we take on the bikes are the big ones. Nothing like a backpacking one. Coleman makes them for 25 and since we have the room....it works good. Sleep is important riding a bike or backpacking...I do need a good one for kayak camping.

I have a Thermarest slef inflator.

The no longer make the version I have, however this should get you going. Weighs about 1.5 lbs. They aren't cheap like a closed cell foam pad. But they are a huge step up in comfort. Cost about $80 or so depending on where you go. The version above goes for $50-$60 at Campmor. They consider it an entry level self inflator.
https://cascadedesigns.com/en/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/trail-scout/product

I bought mine from REI a long time ago. Another option is Campmor.com, they have good prices and great customer service.

To make your pad pull double duty, get a Camp Chair. Another $35-$50.
https://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40054

wihil said:
Now that looks like a comfortable set of gear! I see the Osprey, what else did you go with?

I've been trying to downsize a bit - need to get a substitute of my 6.5# MR Frame pack, but swapped the 4.5# two man out for a hammock in the summer/ SL3 Tipi with woodstove for winter. Summer's a quilt, but still trying to figure out what I want to do with a winter bag. I'd like to hit a base weight in the 20's or less, without jumping into the freakishly light cuben crowd.
8-[

pack: Osprey Talon 44
sleeping bag: Kelty light year 40*
mattress: therm-a-rest neo air
tent: old 5lb North Face rock 22 (had my dog so needed the extra space)
cookware: I've got a homemade alcohol stove, and I use a grease pot from k-mart for cooking, and a plastic spoon for eating.
clothes: I brought one extra pair of socks and underwear, one extra shirt, rain gear, and my Marmot zues down jacket which also doubled as my pillow.

The rest of the pack consisted of my food, water filter, first aid/medicine kit, camera, osprey 3L water reservoir, a pocket knife, lighter, cigs, coleman outdoor wet wipes, and those cotton balls I mentioned.

My dog carried her own food and water bottle

This old seat along with a shovel and some reading materials came in handy out in the wilderness:

WindsSergio2007145.jpg