Carpet, Aluminum or Bedliner, and why?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender66

Reaction score
Hey gang...

I've been tossing back and forth on my project plans as to what material to use over my flooring. Thought I'd get some feedback from you all.

I've replaced my flooring/decking with aluminum (1/16th thick) and it works great. Lighter than wood and will last forever. I was planning on spraying a bedliner on it, but after using the boat with just the aluminum floor and sides, I've discovered that it gets pretty hot to the touch. When fishing from the deck, the bottom of my feat get hot through my shoes. I've even etched the aluminum and primed it already in a light grey so the bedliner sticks to it. With the heat that I'm experiencing I'm starting to second guess my initial plans. So, my question is simple:

Would you stay on track and spray the bedliner, leave it painted, or lay carpet?

I'm thinking that the bedliner might get just as hot as the primed aluminum.

My boat came with the factory installed painted metal flooring and yes, that stuff got heat real quick. I'm thinking the bed liner would be just as hot. I installed carpet in mine and it helped greatly. Glued it right to the painted metal in late 2007, and haven't had a problem with it.

Link to my carpet job: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/thumbnails.php?album=113

2nd vote for carpet. Only consideration would be if the boat was also used for hunting.

I used an interlocking rubber tile/mat system on my floor and I love it. It provides cushioning for you feet when standing all day casting. It is easy to cut to size and install. It's easy to clean and provides ample drainage and keeps things dry. Mine is just sitting on my floor, but you could probably use an adhesive to attach it if you wanted it to be more permanent. I stood on this flooring for several hours in my bare feet last Saturday under the hot sun and was very comfortable. You can get it at Home Depot.

Attachments

• floor.JPG
    floor.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 2,420
  • floor2.JPG
    floor2.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 2,420
I used 1/4" Aluminum for my build, and I just used carpet. It seems to be holding up great, and it seems to keep It pretty cool on the feet. :wink:

i couldnt have carpet in my rig, it would get muddy and trash'd to fast.

i put hydrotuff mats on my floors and loved them. I'd also recomend something like what baitcaster has. easy on the feet and easy to clean

I bought something similar like BaitCaster has and put it in my rear storage area to keep things from sliding around. As he stated, easy to work with, and it interlocks. I think I got mine from BPS. If I didn't already have carpet glued-in I'd probably go with the interlock stuff on my decks.

normal_Storage_bay_mat4.jpg

Waterwings said:
I bought something similar like BaitCaster has and put it in my rear storage area to keep things from sliding around. As he stated, easy to work with, and it interlocks. I think I got mine from BPS. If I didn't already have carpet glued-in I'd probably go with the interlock stuff on my decks.

A couple of you have recommended the interlocking flooring.....how does that compare to carpet in weight? I'm one of those "jet runners" and have to watch my overall weight. I will eventually upgrade my horsepower, but that won't be for a while.

fender66 said:
Waterwings said:

A couple of you have recommended the interlocking flooring.....how does that compare to carpet in weight? I'm one of those "jet runners" and have to watch my overall weight. I will eventually upgrade my horsepower, but that won't be for a while.

I don't know how it would compare to carpet square foot to square foot, but it is not heavy.

https://www.hydroturf.com/

Hydro turf is another option. Searched for/viewed some threads here, I'm going to use it on my upcoming build. Users say it stays cool like carpet. Perfect for my fishing style; I heave a lot of slimy cat/white bass/walleye into the boat; and no hooks to cut out.

That HydroTurf looks like some good stuff also, and looking at their products, they will send you a swatch of some of them before you buy.

I finally remembered the name of what I used: Aquamat, and here's the link to it on the BPS site:
https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/...1_23379_225003007_225000000_225003000_225-3-7

If you decide to go with one of the above mentioned items, figure out how much material you'll need (square footage) and then compare the prices between Hydroturf and Aquamat, and see which one will give you the most material at the better price.

Waterwings said:
That HydroTurf looks like some good stuff also, and looking at their products, they will send you a swatch of some of them before you buy.

I finally remembered the name of what I used: Aquamat, and here's the link to it on the BPS site:
https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/...1_23379_225003007_225000000_225003000_225-3-7

If you decide to go with one of the above mentioned items, figure out how much material you'll need (square footage) and then compare the prices between Hydroturf and Aquamat, and see which one will give you the most material at the better price.

I was looking for that stuff but the BassPro her doesn't sell it. The stuff I got is called "Multy Tile" and it cost me less than $60 CDN to do my boat, with some tiles left over.

I'd love to see pics of these installs if possible (from the ones that haven't posted pics yet). The pics on each product's website only shows a snip of the product. Not good advertising if you ask me. I'd like to see it in action too.

BaitCaster said:
Waterwings said:

I was looking for that stuff but the BassPro her doesn't sell it. The stuff I got is called "Multy Tile" and it cost me less than $60 CDN to do my boat, with some tiles left over.

I had to order it online from BPS. It's about a 2 hr drive for me to the BPS in Nashville, so it's cheaper for me doing the online thing instead of driving there.

fender66 said:
...The pics on each product's website only shows a snip of the product. Not good advertising if you ask me. I'd like to see it in action too.

Very good point.

I personally would go with the bed liner. Carpet holds mud, sand and hooks along with water. Bed liner would be easy to clean, but I would not do it if you could not change it from black. If you can change the color to something other than black, then that is what I wuld do. I used a product called Skid no more, made by Evermore.

I have spray liner in my boat so what I am about to say is not simply hearsay.

Spray liner is not as hot as painted aluminum. I can walk around in bare feet on my spray liner but almost blister skin touching the painted aluminum surfaces that are the exact same color. It is amazing what the temperature difference is.

My liner is not black, however. I would assume that the black would be quite a bit hotter but I bet it still isn't anywhere nearly as hot as painted aluminum.

I have had carpet in many, many boats. While it's nice and plush on your feet... it is a pia to keep up and keep clean. Unless you store your boat in a controlled environment like a garage and keep it clean, your carpet is always going to be a mess. I can pull my boat through the carwash after having tracked mud all in it and have it looking like brand new in 5 minutes or less.

Latest posts