casting deck build question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deltabbean

Reaction score
Does anybody know what's the best way to attach plywood to aluminum for a casting deck build? I'm guessing screws, but what kind is best? Thanks

In a perfect world, you'd use rivet nuts. In a realistic world, you're going to use screws. 316 Stainless sheetmetal screws would be great for this. To prevent any weird metal interactions and to keep them from backing out, hit them with some Loctite 242 or 248 (I like the 248 better, since the stick form is virtually mess free) prior to installation.

For going to the transom, I'd probably run stainless bolts all the way through.

I didn't use any.

Careful sizing and shaping makes for a tight friction fit.

Basically, my deck "floats"...

I thought I'd flesh out my previous post. Here's the best pics I have:

Support structure is "notched" on the two middle for/aft beams to friction fit between the forward edge of the middle bench and aft edge of the bow seat:

d8ad29f7-1.jpg

Deck is just sitting on the OEM bench and attached to the support structure:

747669b9-7a73-4de3-87f9-3b7f6c2cd194_zpsc95f8243.jpg

Then the cooler well was added that is against the middle seat and a storage compartment up against the bow seat:

b64ac0c5-1.jpg

Now it can't move forward or back and it is very hard for it to move up and down.

Finally, a bow anchor locker takes away what little upward movement it could have:

f75a33e4-1.jpg

Just 3 screws though the edge bow deck plate. None anywhere else in the boat.

:)

Latest posts