charging a deep cycle battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldrob

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question. I was recently given a series 27 deep cycle battery. (It pays to take your friends fishing. 8) ) I have a 2 amp on board charger for a riding lawn mower that I put jumper cable connectors on. My question is can I charge the deep cycle battery with this or will it damage the battery.

baldrob said:
This is probably a dumb question. I was recently given a series 27 deep cycle battery. (It pays to take your friends fishing. 8) ) I have a 2 amp on board charger for a riding lawn mower that I put jumper cable connectors on. My question is can I charge the deep cycle battery with this or will it damage the battery.

Take this with a grain of salt. My deep cycle batteries are probably 8-12 years old. They were dead when I got the boat. Guy passed and the boat sat for a long time, so the batts were dead for a while. That was a few years ago. I charged them with 200a car charger for a couple hours each. Often I hit mine with 200 amps for a bit before trickle charging them. They seem to like it....Anyway, I'm still using the same batteries for starting and trolling that were dead 5 years ago.
Deep cycle batteries are pretty robust, unlike automotive batteries. They are designed to take an unregulated charge...My opinion is once in a while it's good to excite the plates and cook off the plate poo.
I know Ahab has been around for a while and I'm sure is correct on over charging them over a long period of time.

That's something very interesting. Does somebody has any clue about this? I'd like to see if this works, it would be awesome!

In checking on just-acquired everstart 24 101amp, was told 2 amp trickle charge for 20 hours will refresh it if it is completely dead.

I have no history to prove it yet.

Sharpix said:
That's something very interesting. Does somebody has any clue about this? I'd like to see if this works, it would be awesome!

that would be a manual way to de-sulfanate a battery, some of the high end chargers have the ability and do it automatically. I know my 48V golf cart charger does this.

my charger has a setting for reinforced activation,which helps decrystalize the plates,not sure but i think its 50 amps.it also has a maintenance mode which sends a pulse to desulphate the plates if it is cold/dead or has sat for a prolonged time.ive had the same two deep cycle batts wired in series for nearly 5 yrs.i charge them both together neg on one batt. pos on the other.

Latest posts