charging battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshman

Reaction score
had an idea...

im pretty familiar/confident with 12v wiring systems...but...my brain is playing a trick on me or something right now...

hows this sound?? just making sure im not overlooking/forgetting something..

my trolling motor battery will be dedicated for my trolling motor only...i will have a feed coming off to a switch to power a back up bilge pump, but that will only be used in an emergency(ill have my main bilge pump coming off my house battery with lights and fishifinder)

trolling battery will be in a box strapped and secured in my bow storage compartment...rather than undo the strap and take the lid off and unhook wiring to charge, cant i just cut the alligator clips off my battery charger and replace with the appropriate plug and plug where i plug my trolling motor in??

i will eventually buy an onboard charger to install but ive never had one, never really checked to see how to install one either, and no funds for that right now and thinking about it is what got me to thinking about this setup...

am i missing something??

so...ill plug charger in to 120v, juice will go through charger to plug, then to battery...technically some juice will go to battery and a little to the switch for my back up bilge pump, will this affect me getting a full charge/good charge efficiency??

*****i will knock a few extra vent holes in the lid to the battery box

common sense tells me this will work but my brain is saying its too simple and must be missing something....

any opinions??

I tried this, depends on charger one has. I had one of the newer ones which monitored battery when charging. Plug seems to have just enough resistance to affect it. It would not charge when using the trolling motor plug. Sensor light did not show reverse polarity or any thing just said error check connections. In my case I took plug off reinstalled clips works fine again.
I thought it may have been resistance from connection so I even tried soldering all connections. And even upped gauge of wire to have less resistance.

What about this? Seem simple enough

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Minn-Kota-Trolling-Motor-Power-Center/20511018?findingMethod=rr

well that doesnt sound promising... the little charger i have gives an error code if you sneeze... didnt think about that...an old school charger would probably work, but it wont have the 2 amp charge cycle...ugh!!

back to the drawing board... i may just bite the bullet and go ahead and buy an onboard...i really only want to do my wiring once...i just really dont have the funds for it right now though...

that minn kota "control center" battery box contraption---thanks for the suggestion but thats junk, in my opinion...ive inspected them a few times, its a good idea but its executed poorly...and, im running a group 29...i think it only fits the smaller batteries..

I charge mine through the connecting wires as both TM batteries are below decks. I built a connecting mount using SS bolts and Thick plastic to tie everything together and give me an above deck place to charge

Works great

In your case just leads off where the wire from the battery connects to the TM plug - then use the clips that are on the charger and you will be fine

Latest posts