cherrywood pole

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought two 5' Cherrywoods from Bass Pro this spring for Crappie fishing. I didn't get to use them (bass fished all spring) so I'm interested in the replys too!

My wife has a 6'6" spinning cherrywood setup. I havent had any complaints with nor has she. For the money its a good rod.

-Justin

I bought the ultrilight spinning rod this spring and got to use it twice before I broke the tip trying to pull another rod out of the box. :x

It was a decent rod for the money.

It ain't a bad rod for the money at all. I have them for use on my bream setups, and they are a quality rod.

Have to agree with above posts. I will say this though the cherrywoods seem a bit lighter in action than labeled. I have a medium action 7' baitcaster that is pretty wispy, more like a medium-light.

not a bad rod for the price.
bottom line is....you get what you pay for
i owned one and it broke within the year, went to buy another bought it and then immediately returned it and went and picked up a st croix and have been buying them ever since...just fyi

I've got a Medium Casting one that I use for fishing chatterbaits with a huge Abu Garcia 5500... it casts a mile, and I've had that rod for more than 5 years with no complaints. The only thing I suggest doing is taking the tip off and replacing it with a Fuji that has the insert inside the ring. Otherwise, if you get a nick in the aluminum ring, it will tear your line up and might cost you the fish of a life time!

I got 3 of them best crankbait rod going for the price...I love mine have had no problems with them... My have to change out tip on the one I use for deep cranking this winter going to a fugi tip on it....JIGGY

I know its an old thread, but people search stuff up so I'll put this here.

I've bought nothing but Cherrywood rods from Wal-mart for the past five years or so. I love the action! They are really light weight, but not whippy like other rods. The cork is nice and I love fishing with them.

But, they break really easily. I counted it up last night and I've bought 12 cherrywood rods over the years, and I've broken 8 of them. Some of the breaks were my fault - I'm not exactly easy on rods. But a lot of them shouldn't have happened.

Fortunately, I just take them back to Wal-mart for a replacement ... no questions asked ... But, I've had a few rods break early in a fishing trip, and nobody likes that.

So, going forward, I won't buy them anymore. Its a shame really, I liked them.

I just bought a different Wal-mart $20 rod made by Quantum. Its blue and feels a lot like the cherrywood, but not quite as rigid. We'll see how it goes.

I've had a WM cherrywood ML rod for several years I use for crappie, good rod, no complaints. I don't see buying the high $$ rods/reels myself, if that's what you want fine, just not me. I'm just not going to spend the $$. I bought some $40 rods a couple weeks ago, and thought, ****, I better like 'em/hope they catch some fish. :LOL2:

I bought one just so I could try out a new reel and thought the guides were noisey with braid. Turns out it is noisey on a different rod as well.

I didn't use the cherrywood much but for the money it seemed ok.

I set my son up with a cherrywood caster a couple years ago and have had no complaints so far. Casts great and has pulled in plenty of keepers. :) I'm starting to get in rod building now though so I don't know how many more factory rods I will buying in the future. Just something about catching a fish on a rod you built and customized.

Cheers,

I guess I'm going to be the Negative Nancy here.
They're cheap rods IMHO. Like someone else said, I don't think they're as stiff as they're labeled.
At $25 from Walmart, I would much rather spend the $40 to get a Lightning rod, which I think is one of the best low cost rods made today. ***Putting flame suit on, haha***

All my bait casters are set up with cherrywood rods. The only problem I have with them is that the guides are rather flimsy, and are prone to bending/breakage. But then again, I'm kinda rough on my gear, and I use it primarily in the salt water. For the money, though, they are great rods.

My first baitcaster was a cherrywood. I bought it for $12 at a shop that was goin' out of business. I use it for my catfishin pole now. The only complaint I have is that I had to replace the tip because the line (mono) was cutting grooves into the ring. Other than that, for the money it isn't bad.