circuit breaker size for trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainjet

Reaction score
I have a 12V Minn Kota maxxum 40T. It has 40 lbs max thrust. I am putting a battery on my boat and I am installing it up front. So I am going to run 6 gauge wire back to the trolling motor area at the transome where I will be installing a TM plug. I need to put in an automatic reset circuit breaker up by the battery but I am not sure of the size to get - 40 amp or 50 amp.

The book says the following:

"as a general rule on the water estimate, your 12 volt motor will draw 1 amp per hour for each pound of thrust produced when the motor is running on high.The actual ampere draw is subject to your particular environmental conditions and operation requirements"

okay so I figure 40 lbs of thrust at full throttle and 1 amp per lb of thrust - 40 amp. But is that correct or should I go to the 50 amp? What I am getting at is is the circuit breaker max too close to the max draw of the motor? Should there be some fudge factor in there?

I run a 70 lb motor and run a 70a circuit breaker. No problems.

My troller is a 40lb thrust and I went with a 50amp breaker. Like you, I was wanting that bit of "fudge factor" in there so I didnt trip the breaker if I was running on high speed against the wind.

Latest posts