trolling motor cable amps?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the reasoning when the trolling motor circuit breaker is a recommended 60 amps & the plug is 50 amps?
The circuit breaker should be 5-10 amps greater than max current draw of the motor. Wiring, terminals, contacts, ect, should be rated higher than the circuit breaker. The CB should be the weakest link.

My opinion: to prevent multiple CB reset when in weeds, Engineers determined that a larger breaker would prevent, nuciansce CB trips (from instatenous current surge), and still provide adequate protection during normal use and typical failures.

My motor guide manual does not mention using connectors, but to connect to battery. It does state 50a CB (good) 60a CB (better)

Make sure to follow you manual.

The circuit breaker should be 5-10 amps greater than max current draw of the motor. Wiring, terminals, contacts, ect, should be rated higher than the circuit breaker. The CB should be the weakest link.

My opinion: to prevent multiple CB reset when in weeds, Engineers determined that a larger breaker would prevent, nuciansce CB trips (from instatenous current surge), and still provide adequate protection during normal use and typical failures.

My motor guide manual does not mention using connectors, but to connect to battery. It does state 50a CB (good) 60a CB (better)

Make sure to follow you manual.
Follow the manual I will do.

Follow the manual I will do.
Just wanted to add ABYC E-11 excerpt for connectors.

Assuming, by following the exact instructions in the manual, it would meet this requirement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304_102008_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240304_102008_Samsung Notes.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0