Classic Craigslist Lines

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll admit, I haven't read every post but seeing that I just sold my tin boat last week, here's a quick recap of what happened on Craig's List.

I actually got about ten calls, most were legitimate, some were scams.

Being a nice guy, I gave the first caller first crack at the boat as he seemed very interested, so I told him I would hold it for him till the next day when he could show up. Yup, you guessed it, a genuine flake. He never showed, never returned calls, etc., so I started calling other prospective buyers and informed them that it would be first come first served. About five buyers said they were on the way but only one showed up, with cash too! Sold it at my asking price and even gave him some extra things that I would no longer need for the tin. I told him about this forum, so hopefully he'll join.

No more Mr. Nice Guy!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326140#p326140 said:
nomowork » Yesterday, 21:57[/url]"]I'll admit, I haven't read every post but seeing that I just sold my tin boat last week, here's a quick recap of what happened on Craig's List.

I actually got about ten calls, most were legitimate, some were scams.

Being a nice guy, I gave the first caller first crack at the boat as he seemed very interested, so I told him I would hold it for him till the next day when he could show up. Yup, you guessed it, a genuine flake. He never showed, never returned calls, etc., so I started calling other prospective buyers and informed them that it would be first come first served. About five buyers said they were on the way but only one showed up, with cash too! Sold it at my asking price and even gave him some extra things that I would no longer need for the tin. I told him about this forum, so hopefully he'll join.

No more Mr. Nice Guy!

I've sold a few cars on Craigslist and run them this way... the first person to my door with cash gets the car. I'm not holding it for anyone. They just seem to want a fallback plan should their other car deal not work out. This method works great and all cars are sold in 36hours. I will not bargain with anyone over email or the phone. The asking price is the asking price (I will negotiate some, but not with lowballers. If they want to wait a week, it will go down by 10-20% week after week till it sells. I haven't been in a hurry to sell anything. This seems to work well for me.

Now for a story, I was selling a van and my wife happened to be there. The guy (negotiator) was telling me some sob story of his son-in-law (the buyer) being out of work, needing a car for his family, etc. etc. and he mentioned 3 times he (negotiator) was a police officer. He said he also owned a body shop and he would fix some door dings on my other car free of charge to help make up for the difference he was low balling. Anyway, my wife bought his story hook, line and sinker - she had tears in her eyes - and told me to settle for 60% of the asking price. ARRRRGGGggg... Anyway, we did a bill of sale, he paid the cash (wanted to write a check) and couldn't leave fast enough... So fast he wouldn't tell me where his shop was, or the name of it or anything. He just kept ignoring the question and literally ran out the door. I tried to stop him in the parking lot and he waved and drove on. Fast forward 4 days... he has the balls to call me up and say his son-in-law wants to UNDO THE DEAL. I actually laughed out loud. He said they took the van to a shop and were told needed a new fuel pump (not true, a hose had a split and we all saw it and knew it.) Said his son couldn't pay for the repairs and I NEEDED to take the van back - he was cop you know and he stopped just short of threatening to make it happen... I told him I would be happy to take the van back, if he had only acted honestly in the transaction and been willing to fix the door dings in my van. But since he was a jerk and wouldn't give me the shop info and never had any intention of fixing my car, he could deal with the one he already bought in 'as is' condition. Told him if he had acted honestly in the beginning, I would have felt more accommodating, but his dishonest tactics, telling a sob story, low balling, and lying got him a van he didn't want. He didn't have much to say as I was pretty blunt in my assessment of his character.

That van was still on the road 3 years later when we spotted it in a Walmart parking lot in Milwaukee.

Just a note after reading the post above^.

In all bills of sale I give to a buyer, the line above the signature reads:

"No warranties expressed or implied."

Most folks are just fine, but it is the ONE...er...person...who trashes the whole fair transaction exchange. That line exonerates you from any "mis-quoting" of your agreement.

Just sold a great little Y-stern canoe to a young man. He asked that I hold it for him until the evening. After talking with him, I said "sure." Turns out he was driving 240 miles to come and pick it up! Nice guy, loved the boat, and was very grateful since he'd missed out on several purchases because he was so far away.

Still feel good about it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326216#p326216 said:
Kismet » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:31 pm[/url]"]Just a note after reading the post above^.

In all bills of sale I give to a buyer, the line above the signature reads:

"No warranties expressed or implied."

Most folks are just fine, but it is the ONE...er...person...who trashes the whole fair transaction exchange. That line exonerates you from any "mis-quoting" of your agreement.

Just sold a great little Y-stern canoe to a young man. He asked that I hold it for him until the evening. After talking with him, I said "sure." Turns out he was driving 240 miles to come and pick it up! Nice guy, loved the boat, and was very grateful since he'd missed out on several purchases because he was so far away.

Still feel good about it.

Good stuff Kismet - you should also add a line that says that "this agreement of sale is the entire understanding and cannot be modified unless in writing."

Saves you from the entire problem of parole evidence - basically, if you do not promise it in writing it does not count.

Also, write "As Is" in big letters!

"Boat trailer kit . . . some assembly required . . . $100 cash only"

Attachments

• TrailerKit.jpg
    TrailerKit.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,029

Latest posts