classic fifty

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cullen

Reaction score
I lost fire is there anyone on here good on these mercs. No local shop here wamts to work on it thanks for any advice

Ok I took boat out ran fine pulling up to the dock it died would not start back checked compression great same on all cylinder check for spark none on ethier four plugs talked to local shop they said these motors r garbage buy a new one

cullen said:
Ok I took boat out ran fine pulling up to the dock it died would not start back checked compression great same on all cylinder check for spark none on ethier four plugs talked to local shop they said these motors r garbage buy a new one

WOW - this motor has been running for almost 60 years and now it is garbage? Really?

I would drop that shop quick!

What year is the engine?

What HP?

and have you checked the points etc.?

It is a 1976 I think the serial #4362350 it is eletric start all kinds of wires and plugs

cullen said:
It is a 1976 I think the serial #4362350 it is eletric start all kinds of wires and plugs

Ah "Classic Fifty" the name of the motor -

So - does this engine have points? Did you properly ground the plug to test for spark?

I grounded it by the holr it screws in to it spins over perfect

Does it have a Thunderbolt ignition?

It does or does not have spark to the plugs? None correct?

You need to check your coils. I just had to replace mine and it is a 1974 150.

Definitely not a Merc guy but would start checking the harness before checking or replacing all ignition coils and so on. The key switch harness must have a ground that kills the ignition in it. Find it and make sure it is not grounded and check your ignition again. You may have nothing more than a failed key switch or a harness with a rubbed spot after all these years.

Latest posts