Cleats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve185

Reaction score
Just purchased my first boat and need to put a few cleats on it. It's a Lowe 1648MT, any pics or ideas on an anchor cleat, I don't want to just screw it to the aluminum.
Thanks

i thru-bolted mine with all stainless hardware, secured on the back with washers & nyloc nuts. the plastic cleat will rip before anything else does

these r the only 2 pictures i have available @ the moment:

42913003.jpg
42913005.jpg

i got these from my local auto parts store,they have a thru bolt and a backing plate.they're made for truck box/bed rails.

Attachments

• IMG_0049_0321.jpg
    IMG_0049_0321.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 541
What do you guys like for a cleat size. For example... 6", 8", something else?

unclejesse said:
The previous owner of my boat installed cleats using nut inserts, which are a kind of rivet device. They seem to hold good.
I used rivet nuts for mine too and they do fine. But I used them because I couldn't access underneath.

As far as cleat size 6" is fine but mainly depends on rope size.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317957#p317957 said:
dsuden » 08 Jun 2013, 16:27[/url]"]What do you guys like for a cleat size. For example... 6", 8", something else?
i used 6", in retrospect, I think 8" would be nicer.

if i use normal sized rope, there's only enough room for 1 rope on 1 cleat, so leaves no room for fenders & whatnot

I used 6 or 6.5 inch nylon from Wally World. With effort I had access to the underside so I used 1/4-20 bugle head bolts with a flat and lock washer. I did one on each of the four corners.