CMC trim/tilt unit. Anyone with experience?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcamera

Reaction score
Integrated TT on my 1986 Mercury 75hp finally breathed its last. Long story, but it's dead. So I hung the motor on an aftermarket unit that I found in storage. It's a CMC PT-130, age unknown. Ran the wires and jerry-rigged the control handle rocker switch, and it seems to work really well, at least on the trailer! But I have no experience with this type of tilt/trim (actuator box, no serviceable cylinders).

I read the manual for the unit, and feel good about it, but would love to hear the opinion of someone who has one himself. Is there any service/PM I'll need to stay on top of? Any known issues with this thing? Thank you.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. You might want to check out "Power tilt-trim relays explained" by Dangar Marine on YouTube.

You will also find a number of You Tube videos about installation and troubleshooting the CMC units.

I'll add that in my case, it had a Force 50 hanging on that PT-130 for 17 years before I hung the Merc on it. When I rebuilt the Merc I completely removed the hydraulics and pump assy from it because it didn't work anyway. The Merc is a four-cylinder 44 cube powerhead, it got bored .020 with new Wiseco pistons and new reed blocks on the crank with two-stage racing reeds. Plus I did a little port work on it and reworked the carbs for E15 fuel. It's got a little higher compression ratio than stock so I needed to go to E15 to run 34 degrees of timing advance. It dyno'd 67.8 hp at the prop shaft on the Taylor dyno. So I rebadged the Merc as a 60.

I found a photo of back when I did the swap.

IMG_9355.jpeg

As LDUBS kinda mentioned there is two 40A tilt/trim relays that have to be in the circuit for the hydraulic pump motor on the PT-130. I sure hope when you "jerry-rigged" it you got those in there.