Day of the Largemouth - Part XXIVVX

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Up early yesterday, plan was to fish an area that closed to fishing for teh spring, it opened July 1 and I was determined to be the 1st person there. Arrived at the spot and struggled through some bad brush, full of ticks and these nasty little flies that kept biting my scalp. Urrrgh!

Well it soon becuase apparent that there was a reason I normally do not fish this spot early - the bass are far less active in the AM. Managed to catch around 6 fish, and missed at least twice that many due to thick weeds and snags. Jake missed a lunker and was a a little upset. We were both tired from lack of sleep and fighting through the brush.

Evening proved much better - lost count at 8 fish and hooked several after that. Fished from around 7:30 to 9 pm. Nothing big, all in the 2 lb range. Jake got a few that were larger from another area - I traded quality for quantity, some days I just want constant action and this place provided that and more.

GLP! 001.jpg

Jakes's bigger fish
GLP! 002.jpg

We then hit a different lake for some night time popper action, when we arrived there were three teenagers in our spot with a mother waiting for them in the parking lot. We walked down to the lake and then decided to go to a different spot becuase of teh other anglers. just then the mother tells us that the boys are leaving, she is here to pick them up. We proceed to the lake side in the dark.

The boys are indeed packing up and tell us that they are done for the night. We both pitch a popper into the black water and Jake hooks up immediately with a lunker bass. The teenagers are amazed, they were fishing all evening and caught one bass. After a brief photo session and some Q and A they departed. Jake and I both kept calm and acted like we always hook up with a big bass on our 1st cast wherever we go - it was great seeing their expression and bugged out eyes!!

GLP! 003.jpg

Of course, becuase Jake caught a fish the 1st cast we got nothing the rest of the evening. My "customized" Chug Bug got lots of hits but I missed each one, need to change those hooks!!!!

Jake did get one more fish for the Horses *** Award of the day:

GLP! 004.jpg

BassAddict said:
Real nice bass Jake =D> and Dave i expected much, much more out of you. You should be ashamed posting them small substandard fish!!!!!!!!!!!!n :lol: :lol: :lol:

Two Words for you

BITE

ME

Nice fish...you know that kid was saying"man would of had that fish if I casted one more time"...lol,probably grumbling at his mom for coming to early to pick him up.

Regardless of how much Dave whined about pricker bushes and bugs, it was still a fun day. I was very happy with my big fish, it was my biggest out of this pond, and our largest of all the night outings there. I almost felt sorry for those kids when I caught it, it was also very enjoyable just rolling up and hooking it on my first cast. It was probly was only about 3.5lbs+, but it sure had a head on it. Pre-spawn it would have been a real hog. By the end of summer it will be nice and fat again.