Where's the HIN located on Sea Nymphs?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringersize

Reaction score
I just bought a new (to me) boat and am having trouble locating the serial number (HIN) for insurance/registration. I can find the capacity plate no problem but nothing else... it's a Sea Nymph FM-164 and I'm told it was made in 1986. Any ideas where specifically to look? I do know it was converted from a tiller to a console early in it's life so it's possible the plate has been covered or removed but I want to be certain before dealing with the hassles of the insurance company!

Attachments

• 20160525_215116.jpg
    20160525_215116.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,801
I have an '83 Sea Nymph, my serial number plate was on the outside of the transom, near the top but I don't remember off the top of my head which side.

Starboard side ... if there ...

On some hulls with consoles and other superstructure added, the manufacturer sometimes places a 2nd HIN for identification/security purposes. Perhaps a call to a local dealer might help you in this regard.

Example, on my 1997 Starcraft, while working up underneath the small helm dash panel, I found a 2nd HIN stamped into a piece of aluminum that was pop-riveted to the inside of the helm unit.

Attachments

• Boat HIN.jpg
    Boat HIN.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,702
stringersize said:
Thanks, I found it! No clue how I managed to overlook that!

Im in a similar jam. I have a 1974 Sea Nymph. The primary HIN# is painted. Where did you locate your second location?

I recently bought what I was told to be a mid 60's Sea Nymph Model 14R. Super nice little boat, very stable and very maneuverable! The manufacturers tag is sun faded and unreadable. The numbers stamped into the transom are 4R21487, does anyone know if that indicates the model year? I've been to the DMV twice to participate in their little circus of fun and I'm still not registered! Oh, for those of you who are wondering, I have access to a large private pond. I need to get it registered so I can fish the local walleye lake. Any info would be dearly apricated!!

I just got back from the BMV where I applied for a title for my little Elgin which was made in the early 60s before HINs were required. It's possible you may have to do that too. It's a big pain in the posterior here in IN. Hope it's easier where you are.

First had to fill out a stack of forms, then have the police inspect it to verify no number. Not that they really cared or even looked for it. Sent all that in and got a HIN issued. Made a tag, put it on, another visit from the popo to verify it now has a HIN tag.

Finally today I got it all submitted in person at the BMV and should have my title in about 10 days. On the bright side a smokin' hot dark haired, dark eyed 20-something beauty processed my papers. Man if I was a younger man and single........

Finally today I got it all submitted in person at the BMV and should have my title in about 10 days. On the bright side a smokin' hot dark haired, dark eyed 20-something beauty processed my papers. Man if I was a younger man and single........
Youth and marriage have nothing do with it. Money. Lots of money and she's all yours. But you're better off with the boat, it will last longer.

Learned long ago that women are a lot of trouble and not cheap to keep. Always kept me from straying. Really, do you want more than one?

I recently bought what I was told to be a mid 60's Sea Nymph Model 14R. Super nice little boat, very stable and very maneuverable! The manufacturers tag is sun faded and unreadable. The numbers stamped into the transom are 4R21487, does anyone know if that indicates the model year? I've been to the DMV twice to participate in their little circus of fun and I'm still not registered! Oh, for those of you who are wondering, I have access to a large private pond. I need to get it registered so I can fish the local walleye lake. Any info would be dearly apricated!!

That is likely an "Assigned ID Number" from the state of Nebraska. Have you done a title search? This looks like what you need to do........

https://dmv.nebraska.gov/dvr/title/motorboat-bonded-certificate-title