Deciding between two boats, G3 185 VF and Alumacraft 185 Trophy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallyuwl

Reaction score
I have been looking at boats for about a month and a half, and have decided to go with a tin boat due to cost and my uses. I have narrowed it down to the G3 1850 VF and Alumacraft 185 Trophy. I want one with interior walls that drop straight down due to having a toddler, just feel it is safer. It would be mainly a family fun boat, just going on the water. Occasional fishing for pan fish. In a few years it would be used for tubing. Not sure if it would ever get used for skiing or wakeboarding. Lakes would be a somewhat shallow 8000 acre lake right where I live, but I would like the flexibility to take on smaller 300-400 acre lakes to the west and north. I don't have a huge desire to take on Lake Winnebago, which is a lake about 10 miles wide x 30 miles long (this is the biggest lake in WI).

I looked at the Lund Crossover XS and did not like it (felt cheap and I do not like their warranty - though I did like the layout and storage).

I can get this one (Trophy with 150 Merc) for $46,500 including the current $1000 rebate. I think if I really pushed I could get it lower.

https://boats.iboats.com/alumacraft-boats/2316815.html
There is another dealer near me that can get Alumacraft boats with Yamaha (which I'd prefer). But Yamaha motors are so much more money than Merc once you get into the 150s. They don't have any in stock so it would be a 2024 order.

I haven't seen the G3 in person since everyone is sold out of that model. I would have to wait for 2024 to arrive to see it. I have a quote for a 1850 VF with a Yamaha 115 for about $45,500 for a 2024 order, then any rebates in winter/spring would apply. Going to 150 is about $4700 more.

Both would require a fishfinder bought separate and bow cushions. Also both would require a Turbo Swing if I wanted to use it for skiing. An order of a Trophy can come with the slot for the ski pole.

One thing I read about G3 is they are a "wet" ride. The keel less sharply angled compared to the Alumacraft. But with different pictures it doesn't really look like the spray is bad.

Doesn't seem like there is much storage on the side of the boat on the G3. I like the location of the live well better on the G3.

Both boats are almost right at 1800 lbs dry. It seems the Alumacarft has a 20 year warranty on all rivets, where G3 is only on transom, keel, and chine (not sure what other rivets there are?).

Thoughts on these two boats and brands?

Well, just plan on spending another $2 to 5K to rig it out the way you want it.

I run a 115 two stroke on a Crestliner 1750. To get similar performance a 150 four stroke would probably be about right for an 1850.

Last edited:
Both look like nice boats. Looking at the bird's eye view, they have similar layouts. I'm not familialr with G3 other than I've heard of the brand. I see Alumacraft all around here. I wish I could be more helpful.

50K to park it in your drive, then 10 years down the road you will only get 20K if your lucky !! I could afford many used boats for far less !! I shop long and hard to save big money, but only buy used. If you can afford it, go for it. If I cant pay cash, I pass....not interested in payments at 73...

Well, just plan on spending another $2 to 5K to rig it out the way you want it.

I run a 115 two stroke on a Crestliner 1750. To get similar performance a 150 four stroke would probably be about right for an 1850.
How heavy is the Crestliner?

I was thinking going 115 with the Trophy 175, which is $43,000.

I worry that 115 is too small for an 18 footer, even if actual hp is about 126.

50K to park it in your drive, then 10 years down the road you will only get 20K if your lucky !! I could afford many used boats for far less !! I shop long and hard to save big money, but only buy used. If you can afford it, go for it. If I cant pay cash, I pass....not interested in payments at 73...

I bought my boat new because I wanted a new boat and was able to pay for it. If I was worried about any kind of return on that money the last thing I would have bought was a boat. I got it for enjoyment.

For the Trophy 175, the max HP is 150. The 115 HP is only one step down from the boat's max HP and almost 100# less weight. Seems it would perform well. Comparing with the weight of @Still_Afloat's Crestliner is a good litmus test.

I would also worry about being dissatisfied with the 115 on the Trophy 185 which is rated for a max of 175 HP.

The Crestliner is 1130 dry so maybe 1700 to 1800 lbs plus people. Never actually weighed it. I was looking at four strokes similar in weight to my 115 two stroke and that would put me in 90hp range with Suzuki or a 75 in a Yamaha.

Maybe the boats that you are looking at are light enough that 115 four stroke would do ok.

Wow that is a lot of money. Whatever you end up with I would be taking it out weekly to get my money's worth out of it. That would be a lot of money to just set in the driveway.

If buying new I would max out the hp. You'll always have ot on hand if you need it and the bigger motor won't have to work as hard when your loaded with gear and people. I run a yamaha 150 sho on a 20ft tin that weighs 1500lbs dry. It's good for 56mph with 3 adults and gear. It's a big jump between. 115 and 150 the 150s have a much bigger engine block. 1.8L vs 2.8L on the yamahas. The torque difference between the 2 is bigger than the hp difference. Between a g3 and a alumacraft I would go g3. Alumacraft may not be around much longer they have already done away with well over half of the models of boat they make. The dealer I bought my xpress from use to be an alumacraft dealer. His story is the company that owns BRP bought alumacraft a few years back and its been downhill since. It's a shame I bought a alumacraft mv 1648 ncs brand new back in 2005 and ran the snot out of it for 15yrs. Would have kept it but the kids grew and the 4 of us no longer fit comfortably.

Seems like quite a bit of boat for such a small lake and use plan. Not the kind of thing I would spend $50k on but that is just me. If I was spending money like that I would have a heavy aluminum, welded only boat.

I bought my boat new because I wanted a new boat and was able to pay for it. If I was worried about any kind of return on that money the last thing I would have bought was a boat. I got it for enjoyment.
Hey...I don't begrudge anyone, go for it if you can!! Often people do not realize the loss of value over a short period of time. I could afford a new one as well, but in my opinion, it would be a waste of money. Worked to hard for it to just let it depreciate away....but hey, to each his own !!

$50k after all is said and done for an 18 foot boat is ridiculous!
If buying a brand new boat and paying that much, shop around until you find the one that has everything exactly how you want it. You shouldn't be sacrificing any of your desires, even if it costs a bit more to include the upgrades everywhere you believe it is lacking. Ending up with a $50k boat but wishing you had this instead or that instead will not be a good boater's life. $60k with no regrets sounds better (though EXTREMELY ridiculous). Either way, I hope you plan on using it 3-4 times a week year-round unless you can afford expensive driveway decorations.

For the Trophy 175, the max HP is 150. The 115 HP is only one step down from the boat's max HP and almost 100# less weight. Seems it would perform well. Comparing with the weight of @Still_Afloat's Crestliner is a good litmus test.

I would also worry about being dissatisfied with the 115 on the Trophy 185 which is rated for a max of 175 HP.

Trophy 175 is 1550# dry and 185 is 1780# dry (best I remember, might be slightly off).

I think a 175 would suit my needs, but I guess my thought is why wouldn't I go bigger since this is something I want to keep for a long time.

@ that price point buy what you prefer

There are things I like and don't like about both. I like the 2XB hull on the Alumacraft, it is a little thicker on the 18 since G3 keeps the same thickness for 17 and 18 footers while Alumacraft increases it. I like the ladder better on the G3 (seems less likely the screws would come out with being used), and it also has a platform for the person to step onto whereas the Alumacraft doesn't. Storage seems better on the Alumacraft in terms of quantity, but G3 has the nice bins to keep things dry. I definitely like the rear jump seat area better on the G3 with the live well in the middle instead of under one of the seats. I haven't sat in a G3 that size so don't know how deep the front sitting area is. I like the shape of the bow better on the Alumacraft for cutting through water. The lifetime rivets warranty on the G3 is only on the transom, keel, and chine (rest are 5 years).

Not really worried about Alumacraft not being around - they are a BPR brand and will be around as long as their new roto motor isn't a total flop (which it might be). And I want to buy either new or late model used. But used prices are really high still and you're stuck with whatever inventory is out there.

Seems like I need a 150 for 18 footer, which brings the prices in line with each other (G3 boat is cheaper but Yamaha motor is more than Merc).

Part of it is that I'm unsure what the incentives will be in the spring. Right now G3 aren't good on 2024 and Alumacraft is only $1000. You'd think with the economy slowing they'd have to up the incentives to move boats which are maybe the #1 discretionary spending large ticket item people buy.

Sometimes bigger isn't better. I had a 17" Bass Tracker that was very easy to maneuver in the tree stumps and stuff. Then a 21 footer that wasn't nearly as easy. Smaller lighter boats can get into some places the bogger heavier ones can't.

Hey...I don't begrudge anyone, go for it if you can!! Often people do not realize the loss of value over a short period of time. I could afford a new one as well, but in my opinion, it would be a waste of money. Worked to hard for it to just let it depreciate away....but hey, to each his own !!

I think you missed my point. Someone can buy a new boat without being a spendthrift. Guy wants to and can afford to buy a new boat. If he can afford it I'm pretty sure he understands depreciation.

There are things I like and don't like about both. I like the 2XB hull on the Alumacraft, it is a little thicker on the 18 since G3 keeps the same thickness for 17 and 18 footers while Alumacraft increases it. I like the ladder better on the G3 (seems less likely the screws would come out with being used), and it also has a platform for the person to step onto whereas the Alumacraft doesn't. Storage seems better on the Alumacraft in terms of quantity, but G3 has the nice bins to keep things dry. I definitely like the rear jump seat area better on the G3 with the live well in the middle instead of under one of the seats. I haven't sat in a G3 that size so don't know how deep the front sitting area is. I like the shape of the bow better on the Alumacraft for cutting through water. The lifetime rivets warranty on the G3 is only on the transom, keel, and chine (rest are 5 years).

Not really worried about Alumacraft not being around - they are a BPR brand and will be around as long as their new roto motor isn't a total flop (which it might be). And I want to buy either new or late model used. But used prices are really high still and you're stuck with whatever inventory is out there.

Seems like I need a 150 for 18 footer, which brings the prices in line with each other (G3 boat is cheaper but Yamaha motor is more than Merc).

Part of it is that I'm unsure what the incentives will be in the spring. Right now G3 aren't good on 2024 and Alumacraft is only $1000. You'd think with the economy slowing they'd have to up the incentives to move boats which are maybe the #1 discretionary spending large ticket item people buy.
Have you considered a Lund?