Decking - From bedliner to carpet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfh1177

Reaction score
I’m planning on putting in a temporary floor until I’ve decided on my final mod plan for my 16’ Alumacraft MV 1670 ( Probably next season if I can wait). So, I’ll get some untreated wood for the floor, treat/seal it and then I was thinking of putting on that bed liner stuff people are using to hold me over. I intend to use the same floor when I actually do the permanent mod down the line.

If I decide I want carpet, would there be any problems installing the carpet on top of the bed liner or should I start over again? At the moment the only disadvantage I see would be the extra weight of the bed liner if I put the carpet on top of this…but what do I know.

Your thoughts?

Thanks again guys…loving this site BTW.

Mark

Other than the weight issue, which may not be an issue depending on how much the carpet adds, Id say the main concern would be with the glue that you would use for the carpet. The question being whether the glue would adhere to the bedliner. We know most bedliners are gas oil reisistant, but would it 'melt' from the components used in carpet glue or contact glue as they dry? My gut says it would be fine, but perhaps someone knows that could add their experience ....

I get your point. I have some old carpet glue in the basement from my last glass boat project. May not be good anymore. Plus I'm sure i have some carpet left. I'll have to experiment on a test piece and try it out maybe.