decking it out

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently picked up my first jon boat. its a older 14' Blufin. I striped all everything out besides the aluminum bench seats (old transom board, electrical, etc.). I am thinking about putting in a deck in the front and back. im on a budget and aluminum is expensive.I was thinking about using pressure treated wood but from what I have read and watched on youtube, some people say it is bad to use pressure treated plywood because it can react with the aluminum while others say it is okay to use. any suggestions?

If you do it right it's completely ok to use PT lumber/ply. The area's of contact with the aluminum can be kept to a minimum, and in those places you can use something inbetween the wood and aluminum. On mine I used 1" wide strips of foam with the sticky on one side and put that on the aluminum and keeps the 2 out of contact. If you plan on using treated ply, if you use carpet that will also help keep them separated.

What you want to avoid is the direct prolonged contact between the two as it causes a chemical reaction that deteriorates the aluminum.

Ideally aluminum is way better to use because of the weight aspect alone, but many of us on a budget use wood.

thanks for the information! I will definitely be carpeting the deck but I will try to avoid contact between my frame and the aluminum. I would like to use the aluminum plating because I fish a tournament league that is electric motors only so I would ideally like to reduce my weight as much as possible to gain speed but like you said many of us are on a budget!

Attachments

• bluefin.jpg
    bluefin.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 1,046
Is the deck going to be put on top of that front bench and then to the front? Looks like a nice sized boat and in great shape!

I gotta disagree. Using PT lumber is a NO-NO! While it is theoretically possible to prevent corrosion by avoiding prolonged contact between the wood and the hull, in reality you won't be so lucky. Besides, it's no harder to use non-PT lumber.You can risk it if you like, but you'll regret it. Instead, use NON-PT, exterior grade plywood and mount it to the transom using all stainless steel hardware dipped in a bit of 3M 5200. You can seal the wood in a variety of different ways The best is to use 2-part spreadable epoxy, but it's a little pricey and messy, you can also use fiberglass mat and resin, or simply use several coats of Spar Urethane/Varnish, which you can get almost any home improvement store. In fact, you can get just about everything you need for your project from Lowes/HD.

I imagine that that boat will not be very stable with a deck. I would keep it low...like basically just adding in a flat floor. But, if you can handle the balancing act, go for it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=322800#p322800 said:
FerrisBueller » Today, 09:02[/url]"]If you do it right it's completely ok to use PT lumber/ply. The area's of contact with the aluminum can be kept to a minimum, and in those places you can use something inbetween the wood and aluminum. On mine I used 1" wide strips of foam with the sticky on one side and put that on the aluminum and keeps the 2 out of contact. If you plan on using treated ply, if you use carpet that will also help keep them separated.

What you want to avoid is the direct prolonged contact between the two as it causes a chemical reaction that deteriorates the aluminum.

Ideally aluminum is way better to use because of the weight aspect alone, but many of us on a budget use wood.

If you are on a budget build it right the first time and use aluminum for the decking at the very least. Electric only you are already running heavy with extra batteries, wood decking is going to make it run deeper and work harder to move itself..

If you insist on wood, just seal up regular pine, no OSB or PT in aluminum boats. The PT stuff will still leach out of the wood and settle everywhere you have metal to metal contact and corrode those areas.

If you're lookin for the speed for your electric only tournaments then shop around for scrapyards and maybe find some cheap aluminum. As Ranchero said too, you can use regular ply and give it a coat or two. Otherwise find some dry PT, otherwise it could seep out a little and speed up any corrosion.

You can always try something and see how it works for you. with a $30 sheet of plywood and $30 in carpet and another $30 in framing and hardware you would have a cheap deck. Pull the deck off in a year and look for any corrosion.

These guys are definitely right about PT being the last option, but for some its an affordable way, and if you do it right you wont have problems.

thanks for all the input! the boat is in great structural shape and I picked it up at a great price. But, now I have a dilemma with the decking.... Also, where can I find the aluminum sheets for the decking? I checked the lowes by my house but couldn't find it.

As far as trolling motors go, does anyone have any experience or thoughts about with the minn kota power drive v2's? I am thinking about picking one up for my buddy for I have had no experience with them?

When I did my I used cedar for the floor and deck. It is not as heavy as plywood and will not rot. I used 12 wide boards as that is what I had. This was one of the benfits to owning a sawmill. I used cedar 2 x 2' to frame it where needed and I don't think the wood I put into it weighs as much as one sheet of plywood. I painted the floor with deck paint and carpeted over it

I have a V2, 55lb with the compass style autopilot and it's the cat meow for holding in current and fishing vs. driving. It has a push button on the head that engages a little compass to keep the troller pointed the same way regardless of what the hull does. It seems very efficient as well and I love the long cord for the remote. It'll also take a keyfob wireless remote accessory that you can put on your rod.

The only thing I don't like about it is the deploy lever being a bear to release and it doesn't have a partial stow ability for drifting through shallows. Some silicone spray made the lock work better.

I plan on getting the v2 55. I think the 55 should be great for the boat. Thanks for the input. As far as the deck goes, looking at that picture I was going to put the deck on top of the second seat and deck up to the front of the boat. I am starting to question the stability though.

Kind of a double edged sword, without weight you will have less stability, especially higher up. Looking at your benches they seem a little high for a deck on top.

Those hulls really weren't designed for decks. About the limit I'd go for is something as high as the bottom of the seats. You should be able to make something that will work without being too unstable.

Thinking about doing this concept with just a smaller deck. I found this boat in the projects.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 189

Latest posts