Depth finder wiring question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdavis821

Reaction score
Ok here goes, I have a humminbird piranha with 18 gauge wiring. I bought extra 18 gauge wiring to run to the battery. The fuse holder I bought is 20 amp and has 16 gauge wires. I and can't find any 18 gauge battery ring connectors. So my question is there any issue with connecting the 18 gauge wire to the 16 gauge wire?

Nope!
If using a bigger gage terminal, I usually just cut more of the insulation off the smaller wire and double it over and then insert it into the connector.
I just installed a Helix 7, calls for a 3A fuse, my Marcum also uses a 3A fuse. Don't know what fuse you are going to use, but if you are using a 20A that the fuse holder may have come with, it may be too high.

The fuse holder holds up to a 20 amp fuse. I spoke with a marine place today and they said they use the same holder as me and they said to just use a smaller fuse.

That is correct dont matter what wire size is on fuse holder as long as you use the correct fuse size. And as said above double your wire over and use a 16 ga terminal, or wire nut or posiloc terminal.

Latest posts