Derek's Tracker TX-17 rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great work so far its going to be real nice when its all carpeted, are you keeping the 40 on there?

Boat looks great - I am going through the same project on a 79 Tracker. The foam was exactly as you described - expaned into the channels - blocking water from draining to the bilge. I reinstalled the foam using wax paper dams to prevent it from flowing back into the channels and repeating the screw up originally committed by Tracker.

I have the same engine (or nearly) you can see my progress on rebuilding that too. If you need to repair your starter mount, let me know, as mine was repaired using a strap of steel - pretty creative solution actually. I can take some pics if you want to see how it works.

doin great, I have nearly the exact same project goin on (87 lowe commander) almost exact same, just finally got warm enough to get back to work with the paint n such. I'm doin away with the carpet and using the gray truck bed liner instead.

Looks good. I have the same boat, but a '95. I really wanted to put in a recessed TM tray, but there is a storage compartment wall that will be in the way. I'm still trying to decide if I want to give it the 'ol tin snip treatment :roll:

I watched your build, it came out nice. On the trolling motor tray, I haven't fished it yet obviously but just standing up there in the garage it is a huge improvement.

Well yesterday kinda sucked. I finished scraping ](*,) and prepping everything for new carpet.
Then I measured, cut and loomed the main wiring. Snaked that all through the boat. It will all be hidden by the sidewalls of the boat and my breaker panels will be hidden under the console. Im also going to build a new switch panel to clean up the console. It has a ton of holes in it from the previous owners putting in a bunch of switches.
I installed, plumbed, and wired the aerator and bilge pumps. I just need to get another aerator spray head for the livewell and a drain plug.
I also added a new coupler to the tongue of the trailer.
Sorry no pictures, but it doesn't look any different.

Derek said:
I watched your build, it came out nice. On the trolling motor tray, I haven't fished it yet obviously but just standing up there in the garage it is a huge improvement.

Yeah its been an uphill battle getting used to doing the captain morgan pose after fishing all of last year with a recessed pedal...

I need a lean seat to use it Captain Morgan style. I however never sit down while fishing so I am hoping with the pedal recessed I wont need any kinda of seat. Which will make the deck more open.

Got my carpet and glue in the mail. Going to be laying it down this weekend, hopefully all of it.

Well yesterday was a long day but a very productive day. Dan and I banged out as much carpet as possible. We finished nearly everything except for the rear deck. I misplaced my pedestal mount for the rear, so we couldn't do that section until it is found/replaced. We used the carpet glue from the same manufacturer as the carpet and a glue trowel. Then we used contact cement on the edges and underside, stretched the edges and stuck it. The roll of carpet I bought was 8'6"x25' and I will not have a ton left. I would say any smaller roll would have run out.

Making sure the grain is running the right way is very important if you don't want a checkerboard. These hatches were set in place 180* out. The grain is still running front to back but opposite way and it changed the look completely.

I'm sure its not going to be the easiest to keep clean, but its a boat some I'm not really worried. I just didn't want to be like every other tracker with gray carpet.

Derek - its looking great. Question for you. On the hatches you are making in your wood deck, how will you seal them so that water won't enter the storage area under the hatch? Or do you just accept a small amount of leakage? Do you provide for drains in the storage below the hatches? Couple holes in the floor?

The standard hatches have the lip around them to kinda keep water out. I know they will likely have some leakage and will be ok with it. Also they are open on the outer edge to the boat so water can run out there and down. If you mean the extra hatch I put in the front deck that hatch is open to the bottom of the boat and I plan to just put wet/dirty storage items in there, like the anchor, camping chairs, etc.

I didn't get as much work done yesterday as I had hoped. The pictures don't look much different then last week, but everything you see is mounted and final. I had to pull everything out to add the foam under the floor. Everything got screwed down with stainless screws, and metal-metal connections were riveted. Hatches installed with new lid pulls. Trolling motor mounted, pedal mounted to tray, drain installed and wiring run. I also put a 50amp circuit breaker in the battery compartment.

I put another day of work into the boat yesterday. Its getting so close, maybe next week it might float for the first time. The rear deck/livewell/seating area of the boat was a pain in the bum to do. Took about 4 hrs to complete that section. Im glad 99% of the carpeting is done. Only a few brackets left. You can see the rear most hatch has the carpet laid down 180* off, which is why it almost looks a different color. If I have enough carpet left I will probably re-do it.
Got the console painted, carpeted, and mounted. Also you can see the windshield which I epoxied back together, sanded and painted. It was in 2 pieces when I got the boat.I mounted it with a poly washer between the windshield and console and a rubber washer on the outside. I am hoping this will give it enough wiggle room to not break apart again.
Next weekend will be wiring and a bunch of other little things. Get the motor running and it will be water ready.

Thanks, I only wish it was closer to me so I could work on it during the week, it would be done already. Next weekend I am spending the whole weekend on it. So if I can get the motor running it should be done on Sunday.