Electric start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkins26

Reaction score
I have a 1978 evinrude 15 hp outboard and i am trying to wire in key switch and I found a wiring diagram but it only shows a push button...and I have more wires coming out of the engine that is on the wiring diagram so I'm really confused on what wires go where and what kind of key switch do I need to buy.
Thanks mike

Imagine how confused you would be if you couldn't even see the wiring diagram or the switch and had to do it blindfolded. That's where I think most of us are without any pics. :mrgreen:

I understand this wiring diagram on my motor it has all these wires plus a purple wire with a white stripe...If I'm correct with my guess I think it goes to a electric choke. So I guess my question now is if I wire this push button start in what will happen to the choke?Also can i change it to a key ignition then but I don't think I have a starter sellinoid..
Thanks for all your help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 950
I have no doubt that there are lots of things in this world that exist even though I haven't seen them yet. One of them may be this but I've never seen an electric starter setup that didn't use a solenoid to handle the high amp draw of the starter. Maybe that "start switch" is actually a solenoid. Even if it is the solenoid there is another strange thing about this diagram. That is it shows what appears to be the full amp load the starter would draw going through the neutral switch. What is the source of this diagram?

I got it from a web site that one of the other members suggested it is leeroysramblings.com. I really appreciate all your help I'm a first time boat owner and I don't know much about boat motors thanks again.

I have a suspicion that this isn't the diagram from a factory manual. Maybe someone with a manual can verify one way or the other whether it is or not.

I used a 15 amp boat horn button switch for my starter button. About $5 from your local boat dealer. But I have a 25hp Evinrude with a solenoid.
Since your solenoid is in the button mechanism your probably going to have to bite the bullet and shell out the big bucks for a factory starter switch. Looks like its $195 new from BRP. #116
https://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=a6blmd60ib1cfkrch0g1lbrtr5&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

If you still have the old switch I would do my best to get it working again or wait for something reasonably priced to come up on ebay.

wilkins26 said:
I have a 1978 evinrude 15 hp outboard and i am trying to wire in key switch and I found a wiring diagram but it only shows a push button...and I have more wires coming out of the engine that is on the wiring diagram so I'm really confused on what wires go where and what kind of key switch do I need to buy.
Thanks mike

What problem are you trying to solve? Is the key switch missing or you think its bad?

I hate to post links to other sites but here goes...I bought this switch:

https://www.iboats.com/Omc-Push-To-Choke-Ignition-Starter-Switch/dm/cart_id.569477570--session_id.922804062--view_id.39662

Used this as my wiring:

Red = Battery
Blue = 1 Set of points
Blue/White = 2nd Set of points (One of these is the kill switch)
White = Starter
Purple = Choke

The key switch itself has info on which wire goes to which screw. I'll look today and get a few pics of how its wired, maybe it will help? My motor is a 1976 Johnson 40, hopefully there's not too much difference.

if they key ignition is rated for a 30 amp selinoid....and in my set up the key is acting like the selinoid is the 30 amp rating should be strong enough to do this or is going to burn out when I use it..

Well my camera is not good enough to take good pics but this is how mine is wired:

Larger Red Wire Connected to "B" Battery
Solid Blue Wire Connected to "M" Magneto #1
Solid White Wire Connected to "A" Solenoid
Blue w/White Stripe Connected to "M" that is the M on the bottom of the pic, mine is not a "Prong" sticking up like the others, it lays flat. Magneto #2 (Shut Off/Kill Switch)
Purple Wire Connected to "C" Choke

There is also an "I" on the switch but nothing is connected to it. This works for me, turn to "On", "Push to Choke", turn to start, back to Off position to shut the motor off. Hope this helps. If not, what colors are the wires coming out?

Ignition-diagram_zpsb45e45ae.png