Electrical run In Series??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripwirenh

Reaction score
Can you run say 2 12v outlets in series? Basically I want to reduce wiring back to the battery by running the outlets in series. Is that something I can get away with?

Also when I run my switch panel, I wanted to run the negatives of my nav lights and cab lights in series, but the positives would go back to the switch panel individually. (to control on 2 separate switches) Is this also something that is possible? I wasn't sure if anyone else has done this or if it can be done.

If you wire your outlets in series you will lose power on the second outlet because of the voltage drop. If you wire them in parallel it will use the same amount of wiring without the voltage drop. As for the lighting circuits using the same negative return, that would be fine as what you are doing is the same as your truck wiring except your truck uses the metal body and chassis to return the negative.

You wont save any wiring, you still have 2 wires going to both outlets... Or the second wire going by it anyways, and you cant use the second outlet without a load in the first, so it makes no sense to do so.. You can bank the grounds on one wire no problem, as long as the wire will support the load of both items..

If you are going to run wire for outlets how much are you going to save?/?
You can do it by tapping into the positive wire for your outlet.and having a straight feed through t the second outlet but again how much will you save?

I have a few main questions.
1. Does this diagram seem to make sense? Will I be able to wire it like this?
2. Do I need to use larger wire from switch panel to battery? (#12 or #10 for higher amperage)
3. What would be the best way to join the wires near the battery? (3 down to 1 wire) I don't think a wire-nut is the best way, but thats how it is on the boat currently.

I also might run both 12v outlets to one fused switch instead of 2 inline fuses. The fused switch panel can handle up to 15a fuses and I thought I would use #16 throughout.

If I'm not mistaken, all the cab lights combined will be very low amperage (roughly 3 watt bulbs each), so to run them together on one switch should work I think.

I bought the battery terminal connector from Cabelas to help with easy removal of wiring when charging battery. (no onboard charger)

Sorry for all the questions, but everyone has been so helpful and I want to make sure everything is safe and secure.

Attachments

• terminals.JPG
    terminals.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 441
  • boat electrical.JPG
    boat electrical.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 441

Latest posts