Evinrude 9.9 - Quiet Runner?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can get it to do it again, I'll try, but it only "ran" for about 5 seconds. Not long enough to even give it some throttle. At this point when I get a chance I'll going to clean the carb and dress the points. Odd thing is it ran normally before changing out the fuel lines and pump. Due to the size of fuel lines and the filters I have on hand I installed a filter AFTER the pump. That should work OK, right?

If I can get it to do it again, I'll try, but it only "ran" for about 5 seconds. Not long enough to even give it some throttle. At this point when I get a chance I'll going to clean the carb and dress the points. Odd thing is it ran normally before changing out the fuel lines and pump. Due to the size of fuel lines and the filters I have on hand I installed a filter AFTER the pump. That should work OK, right?
Don't you think that any additional filters should be installed before the engine? And in case you are not aware there is a screen filter on the Evinrude, Johnson inlet cover of the fuel pumps unless someone has thoughtfully removed it.

I typically put an inline clear filter between the fuel pump and carb, simply so I can visually inspect it while running if I am having issues. Full filter tells me fule deliver to the carb is working fine. Partially filled filter and/or air bubbles indicates and air leak. I think the fuel tank pickup screen and fuel pump screen will pick up anything large enough to get stuck in the fuel pump check valves and the inline filter will get the smaller stuff.

I've noticed this on lawn mowers as well, but those clear filters never seem to have more than a little fuel in them. Should they be pretty full or does it not really matter as long as fuel is present?

While running they should be mostly full but often there is an air gap which is normal. Never saw one completely full. I would suppose it has to do with what position the filter is in when running and how much fuel is flowing. At slow speed mine has more air than at wot, but there is a small pocket of air even at wot.

Nope...filter should be before the pump! Mine is between squeeze ball and fuel connector to engine.

I've noticed this on lawn mowers as well, but those clear filters never seem to have more than a little fuel in them. Should they be pretty full or does it not really matter as long as fuel is present?
They all seem different to me. I have a couple of motors where they stayed totally full and others where they stayed about half full but they ran fine in all cases. You could install and run it and if everything works fine not the fuel filter level and bookmark that as your baseline. If you have running issues, pump the bulb while its running and check the level and make that the baseline.

Nope...filter should be before the pump! Mine is between squeeze ball and fuel connector to engine.
Are you sure about this? I'd rather have it in front of pump, but it fit the line coming off the pump, but not the one going into it. Also there was more space after. If this is going to cause trouble I'll change it, but I really can't think why it would. Edjimiate me!

I have always put the filter in front of the pump to be sure the fuel is filtered before going into the pump. I do know the squeeze ball works better if the filter is after the ball and before the pump. I have saw factory filters between pump and carbs, but they were always tiney little filters. My Merc has a tiney filter but honestly don't know where in the line it is located as it is on the opposite as the fuel inlet. If not already in the line, I always add another bigger fuel filter in the fuel line just before the connector. Cant have to many fuel filters with all the crap in todays fuels..

Are you sure about this? I'd rather have it in front of pump, but it fit the line coming off the pump, but not the one going into it. Also there was more space after. If this is going to cause trouble I'll change it, but I really can't think why it would. Edjimiate me!
After re reading this....I am refering to the fuel line comming off the tank before it gets to the engine...not sure if we are thinking the same here.

Latest posts